Any truth to Vinegar as an organic herbicide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Carolina Cuts, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Yep. If you're interested a product like Burnout is a good bet but anything that's at %20 acidity is going to be essentially the same deal. Its purely contact so its not going to take down broadleaf perennials like RU will but in most respects it's a similar deal.

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

If LS50 data corraltes, it should work better than RU... it's more lethal in LD50 testing.

4. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

ummm... huh?

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Acetic acid(vinegar) will also cause skin and eye burns. Scythe is also very irritating. It is ironic how the "organic" options make the bad pesticides such as glyphosate and diuron seem benign in comparison.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, butchered that one... correlates....

7. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

You'll for sure wanna keep it outta your eyes and you don't wanna drink it either. But if you're looking to use it to make money from customers who have particular issues with other products, which I think is your point. Then that's your product.

8. no_longer_lurker

no_longer_lurker LawnSite Member

I like it on my french fries

9. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone should start using more of these products so I can save on advertising and continue to kill the weeds with a systemic weeed control that is actually alot safer if swallowed.

10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

DuPont will really own me should this type of product become more popular. Yes, 10% vinegar will top kill weeds. Now how do you keep it dead for the next 12 months. With a solid preemergent or bareground program.