Any way i can get my Hustler to cut higher?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kleankutslawn, Apr 19, 2008.

1. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a few customers that are saying my mower isn'tcutting there grass high enough.i have the deck up as high as it goes.The lawn is to big to use my wb,any info without having to buy a new ztr?thanks

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Would help a lot to know what size and model of Hustler you have... Some of the smaller ones, like the fasttrack probably only go to a max of 4". But even that should be about right for florida?

3. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really. If you are mowing at the highest level, than you are at it. You WB won't be able to go as high as your Z.

They are crazy if they feel you are not cutting high enough. If you are not scalping, than come summer you are in trouble when it is raining daily. These places will be a freaking jungle by the time you get back to them in one week. I am mowing at no higher than 4" on my most lush St. Augustine lawns and that is actually scaring me right now because my 727a will only go to 5" high.

You kind of have to let it go in one ear and out the other when they say you aren't cutting high enough. The stinking season isn't even on yet and you can't do anymore for them. No new Z for that craziness, you will only get an inch max out of a bigger Z if you aren't getting 6 already.

Just my $.02

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Check you blade height to see how it compares to the height indicator. You can always cut at the transport setting to get higher. Make sure you have adaquate air in the tires as well. There is no reason to cut higher then the machine is capeable of, and likely the cut will stink as my hustlers never cut grass well above 3", but you may be different with warm season grass.

5. kleankutslawn

6. kleankutslawn

there old lawn guy used a toro push mower and the cut was higher.i think my mower cuts 4 3/4 in transport

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Must have been on stilts because the small walk behinds are even less capable of going up than the big ones. They are probably not used to seeing a big machine on the grass and so the stripes that are left (for about an hour) look different than those from a 21" so they have to complain about something.

Just let it roll off your back and keep plugging away. Are you scalping in any spots?

8. kleankutslawn

no but it doesn't look as green.to be honest, it does look like the mower is cutting low.i use to have a Gravely wb and the Hustler doesn't leave as good of a cut like that Gravely

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I can't possibly imagine why anyone would want grass taller than 4 3/4" which is what a hustler does in transport mode. I even think some of the lawns I have done at 4.5" looks a little ********. Just tell them you figured out a way to squeeze another 1/4" in higher and leave it at that.

10. kleankutslawn

im going to check tire pressure later today