Any Way To Find Poly Pipe With 521 Locator?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I need to find the route of some pipe and was curious if there is any way to use a locator. A lateral line so there is no wire with it.

Thanks,

John

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Not to my knowledge.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If you can find the pipe, dig it and cut it, then run a 14 ga wire or fish tape through it. You can then track the wire/tape. You hit a tee or elboe, your going to be digging again. You hit a coupling just wrong, and you will be in the same boat, but it beats pot holing for hours.

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

the fishtape method works great... especially for those root pinch offs...

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about a fishtape but I didn't know if a sufficient ground would be created. Would sure beat trial and error with a shovel.

John :waving:

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I had trouble locating a fish tape in a water-filled pipe. Maybe a wire with the bare end waterproofed would work better. Maybe there's an insulated fish tape made for the purpose, not that I've looked for it. (I'm holding out for the fiber-optic micro-cam)

7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i have used this method from time to time. it works most os the time with wire,plastic pipe or just whatever.

take a marking flag and rip the flag off the end. go alittle over half way and bend at 90 degrees.
    then hold loosly in your hand. you want the short end to go down the middle set of nuckles. it should stick straight out, and when you cross over something it should go to 90 degrees.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Scaby, that method is called Dousing, and I've never understood why it works. I've seen a few guys be spot on with leaks that were a good 4 feet down. Weird.

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

I never knew it had a name. for some reason i am always 1 foot off when i use that method. but when a buddy of mine does it, he is also spot on.

10. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

My grandpa had the "knack". He'd use a fork from a small willow branch to "witch" water and two welding rods bent at a 90 to find pipes.

After my divorce I went to the cemetary and swund a dead cat overhead three times so my ex would... ummm... nevermind that has nothing to do with irrigation.

~