Any way to fix a pinhole leak without replacing the fitting?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, May 29, 2008.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I have a T connection with a pinhole leak in the inside corner of the T. Where it's at is going to be a real PITA to replace teh fitting, is there anyway to repair the small leak without replacing the fitting? I think probably no but figured it's worth asking.

2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Have you used those? I always wondered & worried about o-rings failing,
    which is why I went to 90s or 45s. I have seen pinholes "fixed" with a screw,
    a ton of glue & electrical tape: never saw one that worked.

4. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

JB Weld FTW

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I considered a screw but didn't want to jerry-rig it and didn't really think it'd work anyway.

Where it's at, there are 2 valves placed so closely together that the T and L are touching each other so a slip fix isn't going to work either. I think I'm going to just have to cut it out and do it right, I just thought I'd see if there might be something that could be injected into a hole that I didn't know about.

6. Sorry man. I feel your pain.

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no o-rings with kwik-repair. All glued. Think of a stopless coupler for copper pipe. Better yet, click on that link and take a look.

8. Mike Leary

There was a product, never used it...like fiberglass tape that could be wrapped around
    the leak, water-activated..sorry, can't remember where I saw it, some speciality supply
    catalog that sold plumbing supplies.

9. Mike Leary

I did, looked pretty neat, thanks.

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Had to use one on a PVC line once (mostly poly around here except for commercial) - sidewalk repair guys used a 10-foot wide bucket to dig a 3 foot wide sidewalk!!! They broke the 2" PVC mainline in the grass area 4 feet from the sidewalk. Anyway that "slip" feature sure makes it easy to repair solid pipe like PVC without digging 9 feet on either side.