Any way to increase water pressure?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by HazyDavy, May 24, 2005.

1. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I have an oscillating sprinkler that I use quite a bit. It's pretty versatile, and I believe it waters pretty evenly. However, when I water a fairly large area(my front lawn) it takes about 5 hours to put down an inch of water. Is there anything I can do to increase the water pressure. I'd sure like to be able to put down in inch in no more that 3 hours. When I set it on the minimum amount of oscillation I can put down an inch in 2 hours, so that works fairly well for other sections of my lawn.

It seems that last year it only took about 3 hours to put down an inch on my front lawn, and an hour to put down an inch with the minimum amount of oscillation. It seems I've lost some pressure along the way. I did go to one of those timers that has 4 cycles/day, 7 days a week, so maybe that's somehow inhibiting my water pressure.

I appreciate your comments/suggestions.

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Do you have a well or city water? I have a well and when I water the lawn I bypass my conditioning system. I have more pressure that way.

3. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Raleigh city water. I also water my front lawn from around 3am to 7am, so I'm watering very early for the most part. During that time it puts out around 7 or 8 tenths of an inch.

4. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Have you checked the nozzles? They can sometimes get clogged. You'd be surprised how much better a sprinkler will perform after a little cleaning.

5. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

I haven't checked the nozzles. Maybe I should poke them with a toothpick or something?

6. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Something thin and made of metal. To often, a tooth pick will break and plug it up even more.

7. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Okay, maybe I'll use a paper clip.

Thanks.

8. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member