1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any Welders?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Apr 15, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i was looking for an all around light duty welder, for landscaping needs and automotive needs. Like making racks, brackets, dumptruck mods, etc. I wouldn't need a super duty profressonal because I'd be using for mostly my auto hobbies. also, i didn't want to spend 400 dollars or more on a welder I won't be using too often. I found this one at Lowes for $200. I know very little about welding, is this suitable for my needs, and worth the price? Thanks.http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98103-000001703-K1170
  2. fga

3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

4. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey FGA

That is the exact welder I have. I am not a welder, I'm a scaper so I don't want to spend large money for a submerged arc wire feeder. I bought this unit to weld a flange on a manifold (yes cast iron) of an old mower. It got me going within an hour. Shop said they could order me a new manifold, be here in 2 weeks. Well I don't make a lot of money but in 2 weeks of down time I'll make a little more than the 200 for the welder. I bought the 200 welder fixed the manifold (still working) and a mayrid of other projects over the years. My suggestion Buy It... Mine sets in the shop unused 90% of the time, but when you need it ...............It's worth it's weight in gold
  5. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

B.T.W. Welders will call us scrubs with that cheap welder. I just laugh all the way to the bank.
  6. fga

Luscious, cool, but which one, I posted 2 on here, thanks
  7. squig_2000

squig_2000 LawnSite Member

Sears also offers a gassless welder for 200. for all around light duty welding any of them would do what you need. Flux core welders work almost as well as gas shielded welders for a lot less money. You just usually have a 20% duty cycle with flux core. Most importantly though, buy a good helmet!
  8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

You would probably be better off with a stick welder you'll get better penetration. Learn to weld vertical up and your weld will never brake. When you go to by a shield get your self the lightest lens. You'll need it to see the gravy your putting down. Be shire to were the shield flash is no fun.
  9. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

Both Lowes and Home Depot sell Lincoln welders. The lower priced units are called "Weld-Pac". They are flux-core units. I ended up buying an SP-135 Lincoln from Lowes. It's about twice what you are looking to spend. It comes with the gas regulator if you want to add a tank and go MIG later. The SP-135 has additional settings compared to the "Weld-Pac" units. I've had good luck with my SP-135. It is a 120 volt unit just like the "Weld-Pac" welders.
  10. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I think everything mentioned is a little too light duty. What's a 135 amp welder do on a single pass? 3/16" I think. Not too much. I think some of these smaller welders will fall short when you have to weld a mower frame, fix the trailer, or work on a dump bed.

I went with a Millermatic 175. 1/4" single pass, 230 V. It was shipped to me for $615 (I think) cart included from a place in NJ. Incredible welder, I love it. I would definitely take it over a Lincoln.

A cheaper route would be something like a Thunderbolt 225 (stick). Again I think Miller is the way to go. This would be good for almost anything a landscaper would encounter, or at least that one would want to do. Check out Ebay, there are always a bunch of welders for sale.