Any Women Operator/Owners?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cpritch, Jan 11, 2006.

1. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

Not to knock the guys at all, but I am a woman starting in this business this year. I've been doing it "unofficially" since I was 14, everything from mowing to landscape design and installation, just for friends, family and myself. The recurring theme is the same with me - I hate my current job situation and I love everything about being outside, working hard and making things beautiful. So, I'm going for it. There are some obvious obstacles that I feel I'm going to face being a woman in this male dominated industry and some distinct disadvantages that I'll have to overcome with learning and time, mostly related to repair and maintenance on equipment to avoid lengthy downtimes. I've been reading through a lot of the treads and this is truly a gold mine of a site. I was just curious if there were some women owners out there to see how they're doing?

Also, what's the best way to approach other companies for subcontracting work? I'm not licensed for chemical application and honestly don't intend on going that route. I have a customer that wants the regular applications and being a newbie, I'm not sure how to approach other companies to see if they'll subcontract out the work? Are most open to that or will I get laughed out of their offices?

P.S. Just for the record (from the other thread) I have insurance. Wouldn't do a thing without it. . .
  2. Martee

Martee LawnSite Member

Personally I think you will do fine if you know your stuff, alot of the customers think women care more for the way things look and have always commented on how they think its great to see women doing it they say they seem to do a better job, especially when doing weeding. Women are usually more into detail.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My wife is the actual owner of our company but very rarely works it.

But in our area I know of 3 woman run operations and they all do very well and produce great work. You will do fine.
    I believe that if you produce the exact same result as a man you will do better in your business because people will just feel more comfortable working with you.

Just my feeling
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Welcome to the board!:waving: I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage. As for the sub work you will have to check with your registar of contractors. The rules in your state may explicitly state who can sub what. If its a job you don't feel that you can do because of apps you may have to pass on it. You should just take the test. Check into your regulations. Ask all the questions you like. As you may have already read in so many posts most of the older members would like you to search topics first before posting. Good luck.
  5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Subscribe to lawnandlandscape magazine if you haven't already. There have been a few times that they have focused on women owned/operated companies. I would subcontract to tru green chemlawn, they have less likelyhood of stealing your jobs. If you contact them and give them the address and let them know your situation, tell them you'd like quotes on some of your properties and then they'll bill you directly. Hope this helps. Good luck,i'm sure you'll do fine.
  6. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info all, and words of advice/encouragement. I really appreciate it! And I apologize, I was a little excited about finding this board so I got a little eager with posting my questions without searching first! =)
  7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I wasn't trying say to search right now. :blush: It happens to everyone on here though. I was jsut trying to prepare you for it. After so many "which is the best (insert here ztr, weedeater, mower, blower etc.) the older guys get cranky and snap at people. I think its becasue they have answeredthe same stuff so many times. You're in the newbies section now so you're safe because they won't usually come into this forum. However when you move into other forums you may encounter that. People forget everyone starts somewhere. This is the best place on the web to find info on books, employees, buiness plans, marketing, flyers, equipment, local stuff from other people in your area. In fact there is a network with poeple forum should see if there are any memebers from your area. After so many posted you can Private Message them and ask more specifics. Once again welcome.:)
  8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My wife is actually the owner of our business. We did that for certain reasons. I've been doing it for a few years before she started working with me. It's been great. Customers like talking to her instead of me. I think you'll do just fine. Good Luck!!
  9. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

cpritch, I too think that you will be fine. Good Luck and welcome to LS!
  10. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who has the will to do well in this business will succeed.
    I heard of a woman who made a great business in florida by mowing lawns in a bikini. What a niche.:p