any1 say NO BAGGING

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Apr 3, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was wondering if anyone says to there new customers, I DO NOT BAG, the problem i run into is i bag about 4 lawns outa 80 but the damn clippings are always a pain. I dump in pick up bed and its fastest then usually wait till fill and dump. I was wondering though if you got tall wet shyt what is best take off just a little bit of graass?

2. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I will only bag for a premium. What I mean by that is ,if I can do a regular mow and blow for $35, I will bag for $45 and leave the clippings bagged on the curb for trash collection. I never take the clippings with me.:usflag:

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I generally don't bag, I've only got one mower with a catcher and it's a 32 inch, so I don't use it on big jobs. Plus, the city around here won't take grass clippings with the trash anymore, so I've got to hall them away, and people never want to pay for that. If it's real long because of crazy growth, I'll do it for extra $$, but an average cut I do not bag.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup... watch this...

I DON'T BAG.

If they want someone to bag, I explain myself and decline. If my explaination does not win them over I wish them luck in their search.

5. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I give them copies from the Scotts and Ortho Books I have on grasscycling and whatever else I can find on it and they usually agree...I will not drive all the way to the dump for a few people--screw that!...in texas you could leave a hundred bags on the curb and a group of hispanics would get them...here, they have the trucks with the robotic arms doing the work...I do think they will come out and pick up some, but for a price...Not worth my time...Push Environment, earth friendly, mostly water and nitrogen, won't thatch, greener and healthier lawn, etc, etc...these usually work, cause they are true...

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I bag about the same # as you. Try discharging the grass first, then go over the areas that are real noticeable with the bagger on. I find it faster, and take away a lot less clippings.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

we stopped doing it 10 years ago

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

NO BAGGING. We also stopped over 10 years ago. In order to make bagging profitable, I would have to DOUBLE the price of lawns. Even then I am not sure I would be making money. Having to bring extra equipment (baggers, barrels), time required to setup, extra time mowing (having to empty bag, operating mower slower), removing clippings to dump, or even having to hump them into the woods behind the customers house. I don't see how adding an extra $10 would cover all this. Also, the vast majority of the time bagging is simply unnecessary.

Note: most of my lawns are over 10,000 sqft.

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing I bag is my lunch.

Anyone who insists on bagging here is a nut job. No real companies bag. A few guys with craftsman riders bag. They are also the guys that cut at 2" when the ag dept says 3.5 or higher.

As others have said, just explain that you mulch or discharge as needed as your regular service. I they want bagging, then the price is now 1.5 to 2.5 times higher. That alone usually gets them to let you do what you want.

If others bag, let them. Move on to reasonable clients who are willing to let you make a profit.

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We bag when we have to.When its growing like crazy in the spring I will bag it.If I can double cut it without bagging,then thats what I will do.