1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Belong to the HTPA?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfquip, Dec 9, 2001.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

The Hydro Turf Planters Association of course....

There is a fee to join which I would consider IF there is a robust discussion forum there. I am specifically interested in identifying new markets for my hydroseeding operation.

I need to learn more about BFMs and other erosion inhibiting soil applications.

Any other sites to point me to?
  2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

We are members of the HTPA. I thought it would be pretty helpful joining this group. It hasn't hurt us, but hasn't really helped us either. The discussion board isn't busy at all, and if you are outside of Texas or Arizona there really isn't a whole lot of information or anyone to communicate with. The people who are active on the site are mostly from the southwest. Not a whole lot to help out a company in central Ohio.
  3. turfquip

Thanks for the reply. Have you picked up any jobs or referrals from the association?

I would like to find a cutting edge discussion forum where the latest products and markets are discussed. Hmmm, maybe a new opportunity for LawnSite?

Here in the Ohio Valley there are tons of construction sites...unvegetated and succeptible to erosion. Rosin Emulsion and BFM technology interest me greatly. But, can you essentually create a market for the application of these products?

What about wildflower dispersal via hydroseeder?
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Ed, Wild flowers with hydromulching is not the best way to introduce the seeds.
    You have on your site a great machine to do that! The Truaxe seeder is the best machine out there to install wildflowers, I'm not saying that it is the only way to do it but unless you have extreme slopes that a tractor can't handle drill seeding is the best method to install wildflowers.
    Ed one of the biggest determant to wildflower hydroseeding is the cost of the extra seed needed to meet the germation factors that Goverments want in their seeding since wildflower seeds can cost as much as $700 per lb. We used a seed here called IDOT class 5A if drilled we use 25 lbs per acre to hydro seed we need to use 50 lbs per acre cost of seed for one acre drilled is $1050
    having to double it raises cost and you still don't get the best contact between ground and seed.

I have found here that BFM or Bonded Fiber Matrix costs as much as $50 per 60 lb bale this an expense factor reduces it's need to use it at rates recommended (3500 lbs per acre) with erosion control fabrics that compete with it. Installation prices for fabrics here from $.85 to $1.25 per sq yd. It is still used but more in places where you can't get equipment into or would have a hard time stablizing the soils below the netting. At times a combination of netting and BMF's are used along with other forms of erosion control

A good place to get info on this and other erosion control pratices is http://www.forester.net/ec.html .
  5. turfquip

Thank you Paul! Your insight and experience are greatly appreciated.

6. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

Sorry for the late post but was just searching for topics. I am the current President of HTPA and yes we are Texas based. I am not sure why we can not get a response on our board at times we do have some heated debate, but not as much as I would like to see. We are trying to spread out and now have members in Canada and Norway. Any ideas on how we can better the association? We are small but growing and would like everyone to participate in the growth of our industry.