Anybody buy a new mower every year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn and stump, Nov 7, 2005.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I run 2 Wright Sentars and put about 250hrs a year on each. Each year I buy a new 25hp 61" and trade the 2 year old one with about 500hrs. I first started this because the Sentar 1's were nightmares. Now I have Sentar II's
    and they don't have the maintenance problems the older models did.
    If I can buy new for $8800 and sell for $5800 that's $3000 for 500hrs or $6 per hr of use.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I know JUSTMOWIT sells their mowers each year. And I've heard of guys locally who do that. But I couldn't name one. Nobody I know does it.

Although, it may be a very good idea. I've often wondered about it. But it requires some SERIOUS long term thinking. Most people aren't long term thinkers, including me. I am usually more interested in saving a buck now as opposed to saving a buck down the road at some unknown time in the future. So my shortsightedness probably is losing me money. But I tell ya, it's tough to shell out a boatload of money at the beginning of the year, when you have a mower that is currently working just fine and not showing any problems. That's money I could use for so many other things. It's hard to justify.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do, or did. This year I didn't, decided to run mowers 3 years instead of trading every other year.

Basically the one is a backup anyways.

Once you're caught up on the mower, it really doesn't cost too much to run new all the time.

I do the same thing on trucks.

I've got a 2003 and a 2005 Dodge Ram 4x4 with diesels.

You pay on them for 4 years.

It takes some serious money at first, but once you're on top of it, it really doesn't cost that much.

A new Kubota ZD28 with a 60" deck is about $11k up here, and I can get $5500 for a trade. That means every 3 years I have to come up with the other $5500, or about $1800 / year, or about $3 / hour, since I run a mower about 600 hours / year. I'm the same, about $6 / hour and I have 2 mowers that are always under warranty.

The third year they're not under warranty, that's the year I use it mainly as a backup, so it's not really even working.

A truck, after 4 years, I've got about $70k miles on it, so I can still get over $20k for it, and the new one costs about $35k, since the dealer knows I'm buying a new truck every other year, so I'm looking at about $15k / 4 years, or about $4k / year.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd really like to do it one day, the Wb's lose a percentage of their POWER and SPEED over time, I swear my 7-month old is already lagging a bit behind brand-spanking new... But, I got back tax issues coming and I know it will be a bit before I can afford this luxury.

But yes, it would rule - Buy a new one for 3k and sell the 1-year old for 2k but you still need TWO, hmmm...
    So how's it work? Ok, you buy and sell ONE each year then keep the second-newest as backup, yeah that would work. That's 400 yards per year per machine, but then it wouldn't be sold until it's 2 years old... Well ok it's a backup so the new one takes the brunt... I guess that works if I got it right...

I dunno, maybe one day...
    Definitely a new one every 2 years thou.