Anybody collecting & selling scrape metal in Florida?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by FLAhaulboy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Scrape metal is big bucks nowadays! Being in the debris hauling buz, its quite funny that people "pay" me to haul away their old junk, then I turn around and resell it for an additional profit. I currently sell scrape at about (1) trailer load per month to the local dealer, I take it home, sort out the AL, Brass, tin/steel, Stainless Steel, copper. I took in my biggest profitable load to sell yesterday, $657.12. Here is a breakdown on what was on my trailer:

Sheet iron clean-2,320 lbs (.11 cents per Lb)

Clean Aluminum-218 lbs, (.64 per lb)

Cast AL, (.64 per lb)

A/C radiators, (1.70 per lb)

#2 copper, (3.60 per lb)

Insulated copper wire, (1.42 per lb)

Electric motors, (.35 per lb)

Yellow brass, (1.91 per lb)

Stainless Steel, (.93 per lb)

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I started doing it on the side last winter. I think I have hauled in five loads in the past year.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

With 15% unemployment in my area, I see several scrap collectors everyday with loaded Pickups or Cadillacs pulling Scrap Trailers. About the only thing holding our Small Town Local economy together is the upscale retirees who are spending enough money to keep retail & service alive.

Talking with a network buddy today we were discussing how we might not be hurting because of being established with a old Customer Base. But we sure weren't setting the world on fire with new business.

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I think the gig for roadside pickup is just about done here for the part-timer. Since the prices hit $10/100lb again for shreddable, I'm not seeing much in the past couple of months. I saw a 5ft piece of 1/2" copper and some insulated two weeks ago, but that is about it. I'm not seeing that many more people doing it, so they must be getting better at picking the routes.

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

dont know about "collecting" scraps but there is a ton of theft and scrapping going on for sure!!! From backflow preventers to cemetery urns (sp?) and ac unit guts.....still waiting for that "change" to arrive:cry:

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Fl Land

I haven't seen a lot of Air Conditioners stolen on the news lately. Maybe it is so common any more they are no longer reporting it.

Our Greater area has one of the highest if not the highest foreclosure rate in the country. Cape Coral, Fla is said to have 50% foreclosures. But when the economy crashed many of the vacant home were stripped of Everything they could haul away including plumbing and wiring.

7. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Plenty of late night scrape stealing of A/C units in Florida. In my area, it fluctuates on when the criminals start stealing A/C's. High $ prices now but nobody is stealing anything, doesn't make sense.

A funny story:

I was at a local scrape dealer a few years back. There was this guy standing at the scale observing every load brought in & I figured he was a plain clothes cop looking for stolen scrape. I asked the Weight Master if he was a cop-yep. Everybody knows "me" at this bisiness other than the cop. I weigh going out, then have to park and get out, go inside to get paid. My Master friend is over talking to the cop, So I walked over to have a lil fun at cop's expense...I tell my friend that I have a late night job of tearing apart A/C units (to remove the copper) & I usually get finished around 4 AM & can he come open up early? The cop is staring at me wild eyed, says nothing! I'm sure my friend told him later, I was kidding :laugh:

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Can we please stop calling it "scrape" its SCRAP! No "e" on the end.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Me fail English, that's unpossible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you are a product of the Florida educational system. I am sure you did well on the effkhat testes.
    Posted via Mobile Device