Anybody else advertise on flags?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cochino12, Feb 26, 2006.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I just placed a small order of flags from blackburn flags and wondered if anyone else has used flags to advertise? They are cheaper than doorhangers and I figure they will save a lot of time distributing since we wont have to walk up and down driveways. I'm sure kids will get a few also but i figured I would give it a shot. Here is the flag minus a couple small corrections I made to it.

Oh and yes i realize my prices are much lower than you guys out east for aeration and fert. but these are going to very very small yards in a couple neighborhoods and are toward the high end of pricing here.

2. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

thats a great idea. it's too bad the yards are small.
    what color is the actual flag vs. the ink.
    that is good thinking.
  3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

So you plan on sticking a flag in someone yard as a means to advertise your services to them? Personally I would not even consider that but maybe it will work ok in your area?
  4. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

Well not all the yards are small, just in the area I'm using the glags. Flag is white w/2 shades of green, is that what you meant?
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I love the idea of the flags, though I prefer the stiff kind better on the plastic stakes just from a readibility standpoint. I don't know about going around and sticking them in random yards though... They are something you can leave in YOUR customers lawns, usually at the time of lawn treatments as an indicator of chemicals being on the property, but placed close to the street by the driveway or front sidewalk you then have a multi-day exposure to all the neghibors and passers by as to who maintains the property. Pretty clever, and I see it done here all the time. Our state dosn't even require them for lawn applications but I see more and more using them. If I had some more $$$ in the bank I was going to get a run of them for myself!

*edit* i commented on the prices being on there, then read all of your post... duh on me!
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I would definitely not go randomly putting them in yards.

Here is an idea some america flag ones and put them in peoples yards for the 4th and on the back put that this flag was provided by....
  7. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

probably not the same but last year I put out a bunch of flags using the orange wire flags. I printed out stickers and placed them on the flags. I did a lot of rural areas.

I only did about 500 so I know you can't expect much response. I got none. What I did learn that was discouraging is that no one would even pull the flag. They just stayed for weeks right next to the mail box. I won't be doing that again but like I said it's not the same as what your doing.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I just started putting them up last year. Like you said, our state doesn't require them, but I think it's a good idea so that the client knows that you made your visit that day. I think I spent $150 and those will last me like 5 years or so.