1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else feel this way?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 3, 2010.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Grass is growing like wild fire and grows an average of 2 to 4" every 7 days. Fert and squirt guys are just pumping that nitrogen down like crazy. It keeps raining and the grass is soaked. It JUST NOW stopped raining and we are leaving right now to cut this deep wet soupy mess and I dont really give a rats @$$ what it looks like when I am done! Calling for possibility of more rain tomorrow and possibly thursday evening and maybe friday to. And I just dont give a flying fook what the lawns look like when I am done when the weather is like this!

Anybody else get like this? Normally I try and make sure our lawns are the nicest cut lawns in the neighborhood but not right now. I could care less. Sorry just had to vent some frustration.
  2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

The rain is one thing. The squirt and fert guys are another. That's why I don't mow where I don't control the applications. Heck, I haven't yet fertilized more than a couple places so far. The lawns look great from last fall's app and no surge growth. Oh well, you can look forward to a hot, dry summer when the grass looks like crap again. I've often tell people that lawn and landscape guys are never happy: It's either too wet or too dry or too hot or too cold or too windy.
  3. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I HATE HATE HATE yards that get spray fert. Cause we typically bid in February on a non snowy day and base a price on the size of the lawn. Then you find out in the Spring some of these lawns get spray fert. So they grow faster, thicker, and cause the profits to be less cause it's now taking longer to cut and bag.
  4. NatesLawnCareLLC

NatesLawnCareLLC LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I do not share the same feeling you share about the way it looks. I'm going to take pride in my work and I would feel less pride if the lawns looked clumpy. I do understand when you get days and days of rain the grass is going to be long and you can't double cut every lawn. Clients should be able to understand that. I still feel as though you should care about what the turf looks like when your done, a professional image is worth way more then a bad one.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

I normally do care but my mind has been elsewhere this season so far. On top of being full swing again with the lawns we found out 2 months ago that my wife has kidney failure and has been to docs out the ying yang then a 5 day stay in johns hopkins (they rock by the way nobody else could figure out what was causing her kidneys to fail). So I am struggling with the worry about her plus missed days to care for her after her biopsy then the pressure to get 80 lawns done each week with the weather making it more difficult. Here it is 2pm and we managed to knock out 14 already. Taking a break and heading out for more. They are cutting a lot better than I was expecting to be honest so thats a plus.
  6. stew6371

stew6371 LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your wife. I will pray for you all.
  7. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

Bag it up, cut it low and strip out as much of the nutrients as possible.
  8. ProStreetCamaro

:laugh: Trust me I have thought about it.
  9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Florida is considering restrictions on the unlimited application of nitrogen. I find a good granular slow release 2 x per year is adequate and if I want the grass to really green up PDQ; apply a sprayable organic iron. Monthly is insane, but these guys have to show up every month and do something cause they have a maintenace contract like you do.

I try and build a relationship with my L&O guy to reduce the nitrogen, in exchange, I try and direct him some add on business like white fly treatment or grubs & mole crickets... stuff like that. Works pretty good but like always, some guys are just a-holes. They spray too much and it's your problem to clean it up, or not enough and it's your fault the grass isn't green enough.
  10. ProStreetCamaro

Yup I love how the fert and squirt guys are always putting the blame on the cutting guys. "oh they are cutting to short" or "they must have spilled gas or something on those spots".

No mam look at the indicator I am cutting at 3.5". No mam we dont put gas in our equipment while it is on the lawn. :dizzy: