1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else get caught with their pants down (by winter)

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by leaflandscape, Dec 9, 2007.

1. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

We've still got 2 projects on the go, luckily one's just a cleanup. The other one's not a big deal either, just grading out a side yard after a wall installation, but it's a trainwreck out there, covered in snow and saturated with rainwater and meltwater. I think we're done there til spring. Who else has some work tio still finish with Jack Frost nipping?:cry:
  2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Not at all. I am ready to work right through the winter. I firmly belive you can never reach your full potential only working 9 months a year. How in the world do you ever support a full time office staff, or any good employees without giving them year round employment?
  3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it might be a little colder where he is located.....plus it can't be as efficient to excavate in the winter when the ground is frozen...
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

well davey tree makes their people take 2-3 months off in the winter and they are the second largest green company in america.
  5. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Thats funny! Jack Frost took a great big bite out of my ***. Ground has been frozen for a couple of weeks now and we just got a foot of snow last week, more on the way this week. I wish I could keep going all winter but it is impossible. Here in snow country we make due plowing snow, a little winter pruning and whatever other work I can scroung up - for me a little carpentry/maintenance work.

Every one think spring...and fast!:rolleyes:
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

7. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Yeah, we do some snow, and as far as office staff I'm still here. I agree with working as long as you possibly (reasonably) can, but there's really not much point for me to keep working if the equipment's causing as much damage as progress. The snow was keeping us running for about a week, but we're to the point where the grounds frozen and slippery, but not enough to keep us from doing pretty nice damage with the bobcat.
  8. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

we are about to start a 30k install Friday and meeting with peopel to sign another 20k. I took a day off this week to gather myself and ended up spending the day marketing for more work.

I do not understand people who just call it a winter because it is cold. We don't truly start making profits until October I need these extra months to build the company.
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. I just wish it would stop raining and the ground would freze. I do not mind using heaters to defrost the ground, i just hate walking around the jobsite in 6inch of mud. I wore my concrete boots all day today.
  10. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Im in the upstate of SC just 20-30 minutes from the mountains...the high today was 77 degrees!