1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else looking at the new Exmark 21's this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fsujammer, Feb 23, 2010.

1. fsujammer

fsujammer LawnSite Member
    from IA

I am looking at getting a couple of new 21's to replace my old lawn boys this year. I am going back and forth between the Snapper Hi-Vac and the new Exmark. What are your guys thoughts?
  2. VAMower

VAMower LawnSite Member
    from VA

Im in a similar situation. My dealer seems pretty high on them. I understand that they are similar to the Commercial Toro's
  3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If business goes good, Im gonna pick one up for my personal yard as I never use a 21" anywhere else. They are frieken awesome looking and priced well at around $700 I think it was.
  4. fsujammer

fsujammer LawnSite Member
    from IA

Wow, only $700?! Is that the regular commercial series and not the Advantage Series? My dealers beginning price was around $1200. Can anybody else tell me how much they are being quoted for on these new mowers? I got a feeling my dealer is giving me a horrible price.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I believe the Toro version of that mower has a wider chute opening which will effect bagging ability.
  6. travski

travski LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said they are $1,200 bucks and basically they are identical to Toro's line....
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the toro and the exmark are the same mower with different branding... However the toro line offers several 21" mower choices where the exmark there's just the one model (i know there's sub models of that one). And $1,200 is about ballpark.

The snapper is a decent option, for around $800. (commercial). But they are steel deck and the drive system needs maintenance pretty routinely. However you can at least repair a snapper's drive, versus a regular 21" mower that when the tranny goes out you spend $250 for a new one.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't get the Kawaski engine they have been trouble for us. The rope starter mechanism is way underdesigned and we broke shear pin in
    two of them. Never broke a shear pin on old Robin engine.
  9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Personally, I think I"m going to shoot for the Honda HRX. I know it's not a full blown commercial unit but I think it would be a good machine, lighter weight, and only cost $629. I was told the new Exmark would be in the $800 range-maybe for the AS model?
  10. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Have used the commercial Snapper, great mower. Lately, we have been using the Hondas. They work great and are almost half the price.