anybody else losing yards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboyoung, Oct 25, 2007.

1. lawnboyoung

lawnboyoung LawnSite Member

ive lost two yards in one week i only had 5 to begin with.but still this is my only income.ive tried everything that comes to mind to get more,filers door to door im geting desperate.anybody got ideas.

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Keep trying - Just remember, "Winners never quit and quiters never win." :usflag:

3. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

What reason did the customer give?

Put yourself in their shoes, why might they have fired you? Did you always do what you said you'd do, when you said you'd do it? How's the quality of your work?

It could have also been as simple as the grass has about stopped growing. (At least here in GA)

-Adrian

4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

This is YOUR ONLY INCOME and you ONLY HAD 5 CLIENTS!!! HOW can you survive on 5 CLIENTS? If I were you I'd get out there ans get another job until you can round yourself up some more clients! Jeez man...:dizzy:

5. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I've lost 2 over the last week that bring in about 550.00 per month due to the drought. It's all over the news here about the lack of water, landscapers and nurseries closing down. They must spend 15 minutes on it at 6pm and 11pm. I know my customers are wondering why they are paying me! With the rain we had this week, the lawns are looking somewhat better. There's always something to do here maintenance wise, but I know some people are going to drop me due to the drought and poor economy going into the winter.

Why did you lose your 2 accounts? Did you ask? Send them a thank you card and remind them you would appreciate their business in the future if they are looking again.

6. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

What is going on in Florida rite now. Is prople are comming during the winter and low balling all the neighborhoods, cutting for way less than what it should be going for.These people have been going all and most of the year and it hits winter after you have killed your self over the last few months , and they know that you make very little in the season when its hot . Then to save even more money they beat you down during this time . See most of them who have gone on m-thrs have gotton some cuts all ready for free based on 42 cuts per season.Now they want less service and a cheap price.Do not take any one back who deops with out making them pay the regular rate and then tell them that next year when they have extra cuts comming they will not recive them.If next year you pay for 4 weeks of the you get 4 weeks of the month and extra day is extra money.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would work part time at an hourly job and slowly move into this business. There is a lot to learn. Some places in the country it is no trouble picking up accounts and some places you have to work hard to get and keep every account.

Make sure you are doing top notch quality work, build up a relationship with each customer and understand their needs and expectations. Much of new business comes from referrals so if your customers are not happy then you will not pick up much business. Word of mouth is still the best advertisement. I am constantly approached by other customers telling me what they don't like about the way their LCO does his job. And I guarantee you the LCO has no idea that his client isn't happy. I make it a point to ask questions, make sure everything is exactly the way they want it (good communication). You are new to lawn site so read as much as you can. There are many well established, experienced LCO's that you can learn from. Try to get a third opinion on your work. There must be some problem for them to drop you. Even if you are desperate don't appear that way. Dress clean, neat, keep your equipment looking its best and try to be and appear as professional as possible.

Some of the complaints I've heard about other LCO's:

Doesn't trim properly or rushes.
    Cut's grass 5 times a month during a drought.
    Cuts too high or too low
    Leaves clumps, doesn't blow off drives, walks etc.
    Spins tires, leaves tracks
    Gets grass in flower beds, landscaping
    Doesn't show up promptly, not dependable
    Charges too much
    The list goes on

I'm sure some of my customers complain also, had one send me an email that he found some grass under his grill cover (tarp). He hasn't found any more under there...

8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This year has sucked...and next year looks to suck even harder.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been losing them for 6 years now, you kinda get used to it, sort of.
    I mean it used to bother me a lot, now it's a little more like oh yeah that again.

Nothing you can do, other than do listen to what they say, there may be one or two things you can improve upon, but beyond that I'm telling you there's but so much you can do, customers can and will go elsewhere is all I'm saying.

You know we do have to watch the quality of our jobs, but for every customer complaint I've got an equivalent complaint of mine.
    Am I really tracking the grass or is it just that there's SO much water on the turf?
    I don't particularly enjoy it either, most of the time I see it coming and I get off the velke and PUSH to help it out, spinning a tire is but one step from getting stuck and half the time even pushing doesn't work but so good when my feet are sinking too, so it's not for lack of trying, not usually.

Just do the best you can, always, beyond that it's compromise.

But anyhow, best I can tell you is hang in there, now is likely not the time for it, but as soon as things improve save your money, that helps keep you from getting desperate.

In the meantime, LOWBALL, oh I meant to say reduce your prices some.

10. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I've actually gained two this week. Even though this drought has s*cked, I'm getting more calls now than I have all summer. Seems that a lot of people's companies are either going out of business or not doing their job.

No complaints about more business. Hopefully next year will be better with some more rain.