1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody else mow in shorts??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meathead1134, Jun 16, 2006.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I've learned my lesson from the first year I started. 99% percent of the time I mow in shorts. I even trim in shorts with no chapps sometimes I catch something and it hits my shins they take a beating. Here are the reasons why I work in shorts. I've got fair skin, blonde hair, and bright blue eyes. I get warm very quickly. I wore jeans my first season and I was getting too hot. Along with getting caught in the rain a few times. IMHO its easier to stay dry with shorts because the jeans would hold the wetness in and make it very uncomfortable to walk around over time. WIth shorts if you get caught in a rain dealy. I just grab the towel and I'm dried off and along with being alot cooler. The only down fall I have ruined numerous pairs of socks. No matter hoe many times I wash them they are still green. Does anybody else mow in shorts all of the time???
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I wear pants about 2 days a year. Other than that its shorts. I dont like pain and kind of a wimp about it, but a few stones hitting your shins or ankles isnt that bad. Even I can take that.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Most of the time i wear shorts because it is cooler - but i feel you with the socks. No matter how tight i tie my boots dirt still gets in and cakes to my ankles and socks - even when i wear tall socks.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i wear shorts everyday.. no matter what im doing.. i got the scars to prove it too. only time i wear pants is when im shoveling snow the rest of the year its shorts.
  5. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I dress for comfort, so when it's cold, I will wear long pants, but for the most, I wear shorts. It's just too hot - for me - down here not to.
  6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Never wear shorts when im mowing... It would drive me crazy to have grass/dog poo all over my legs and socks. I wear light colored dickies work pants, they are a thin material and loose fitting. A lot more comfertable than jeans imo.
  7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I too wear shorts but for one or two days out of the yr. Then I fill like a little kid in church with my tie to tight.

Here is my concern with wearing shorts as of late. Everyday when I am driving my shins feel like they are on fire. I get a very warm sensation that is very uncomfortable. Now with that being said, I have had at least a min of 20 accounts since around 1981 (aprox 23yrs part time and 2yrs fulltime has taken their toll) have always worn shorts down to about 32degrees.

As I stated above this gets very uncomfortable and sometimes is so distracting that I pull over and let it subside. Now for those that start throwing medical caca out there, been there and done that.

I have had a full blown med evalution. Biopsy, 2hr glucose, full blood work up, complete physical. I came out with a clean bill of health. Circulation is good also. However, I have chewed tobacco since I was 9 yrs old go to the dentist twice a yr for cleaning and have never had a single cavitie.

But wear shorts I will!!!!
  8. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely wear shorts. Too dang hot and humid down here for me to wear pants. A few nicks and scratches here and there I can deal with. It all heals.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont even own pants...SHORTS all the way.
  10. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

Shorts all the time and green low cut socks. Don't buy them that way give it time and they will turn out like that. :laugh: