1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else raise prices for mowing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnkingforever, Mar 14, 2013.

1. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Just got done sending my spring letter to all of my customers. In that letter was a price increase for about 2/3rds of my accounts. Last spring I did the other third. I lost 1 client over the increase. The average increase was minimal this year with the average being only around $3. But spread out over many customers it is a nice little income boost to cover rising fuel costs. I would rather cover myself now if gas goes up
    alot. I also raised my minimum for yards I will be bidding on this upcoming season.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I raised prices on about 80% of my customers. Mine was $5 per client in most cases. 2 of them were $10. Lost only 2 clients that didn't care for the $5 increase. They were Bi weekly anyway. I'm trying to weed those out and go strictly to weekly. Everyone else was cool and didn't even question the hike.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

I will increase this year but I think I will wait till grass starts growing fast so they don't have time to look for other prices. Although the ones I may lose probably aren't worth it anyway.
  4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I try not to raise prices. However, I do raise the minimum amount each and every year.
  5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Sending out my letters today.....one increase that I can remember. I'm switching them all over to EMAIL invoicing so, that's probably enough change for this year, but I will consider an increase next season if gas keeps going up.

6. lawnkingforever

Yes. EOW accounts are a pita when your schedule primarily consists of weekly accounts. Most of mine are in the rear view except for a couple where there grass does not grow fast. I just mailed my letters out, I guess I will see if anybody complains about the price increase.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

$5 is a big increase for most houses in your area. Seems to me you priced the lawns too low to get the work and now realize it was a mistake.
  8. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Some were low but not all. Mostly from my ex partner. One reason why im solo now. I wanted to do it last year but was always butting heads with him etc. He finally had enough and left after last season came to a close.
  9. lawnkingforever

II lost one account because of the price increases I implemented on weekly maintenance. Customer emailed me today stating they were going to mow their own yard as their cost for hiring someone has exceeded the price they were willing to pay. If they were one of my long-term customers I might have worked them. But being they were only with me for a year I let them walk. The cost of equipment and fuel continues to rise making margins thinner while the prices you can charge have stagnated.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I raised the prices for my month to month customers. haven't heard any complaints so far.