1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else seriously looked at Tanaka?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KERRTURF, Mar 2, 2005.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

I just recieved a catalog from Mark withTanaka products. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the hedge trimmers, or Line trimmers? I don't want to turn this into another brand bashing thread, just curious how many people actually have had any experience with them, and what they thought about Tanaka compared to other more "industry standard" brand handhelds. I plan on checking out the line for myself, but I do not know anybody with first hand experience.
  2. Turflover

Turflover LawnSite Member

I just bought the THT-210S hedge trimmer to do lawn service on the side. It looks well built and I can't wait to put it through it's paces. The local dealer said that he knew of one service that used all Tanaka and now swears by them. Just a thought.

Chuck DeWitt
  3. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Great to hear! The THT-210S marketing campaign, "Less Weight, Feel Great," kicks off this month in Lawn & Landscape - Here's a sneak peak at the ad...

THT-210 Ad FINAL.jpg
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that the Tanaka Hedge trimmers are the best. Except for the models with the pure-fire engines. The string trimmers are pretty good too. I just bought 2 THT 2120 hedgers and 2 TBC 230 string trimmers. We have had Tanaka stuff for 8 years. I have also bought Stihl,Echo, Redmax,Shindiawa and Little Womder products.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

What is it about the pure fire engines that you don't like, and since there are so many good trimmers out there why did you get the TBC 230? Was it price, dealer support, warranty, or special features?
  6. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The Pure-Fire engines just dont run as well as the normal engines. My expierence has been that they have less power and dont rev as high. I bought the TBC230s because of a special price and they seem to perform well and are very lite. I have owned the larger models with the Pure Fire engines in the past.
    I wish Tanaka still made the 30inch hedge trimmer with the regular engine. :realmad:
  7. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I have had Tanaka equipment for years. It is light and has good power. My daughters like the fact that it is easy to start. I currently have 2 trimmers and an edger. The only problem I have is no close dealer for support. The gas caps on the trimmers could be improved also. if I had a good dealer I would have no second thoughts on buying Tanaka again.
  8. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I already have the210 trimmer . Its a dandy.
  9. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I too am looking for a serious trimmer and edger combo unit. I am tired of the big box store junk they sell at Home depot and Lowes. Of course Stihl is made right down the road in VA Beach, and parts and Stihl products are everywhere around here!

I would like a strong/ quiet/ reliable unit that acutally lasts. I almost bought a Stihl, but then I found this site and would like to try the Tanaka products. I have not seen them in person yet, but from what I have read, they seem pretty to be a good product!

Does Tanaka offer a fairly quiet and strong unit that can edge as well as trim, and allow me to bolt on a nylon grass gator instead of trimmer string??

I hate dealing with that damb winder and rolls of trimmer string, but I also do alot of trimming around fence lines and unless I use the stronger 3 nylon blades, i constantly have to add trimmer line.

I like the idea of a reliable easy to use product that does scream in my ear all day, but yet can do the job year in and year out. I adverage about 2 hours of trimming and edgeing combined a week during the summer.

Tanaka, can you help me without breaking the bank???? I might be willing to spend about $350 for the right set up. Is that about right?? How much do these things cost??
  10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Thanks for the post. It is very encouraging to know that people are interested in finding the best product out there even though it might be more convenient to settle for less.

O.k., that's enough commentary - let's get to your questions.

1. Does Tanaka offer a split boom trimmer and edger attachment?
    Yes, we are offer two solutions for the trimmer, the TBC-230SF (21cc) and TBC-250SF (24cc). Both units feature Tanaka commercial grade engines and come standard with 5" semi-automatic heads.

2. Can I bolt on my grass gator?
    Yes, with the correct hardware. However, you might want to try the Tanaka No Brainer quick load head.

3. How much do these things cost?
    The TBC-230SF split boom trimmer is $299.99 (sugg retail)

The TSF-PE edger attachment is $99 (sugg retail)

Let me know if you would like me to set up a demo. Below is a photo of the TSF-PE in use.