1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else think the t-bar isn't that great with a sulky?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Apr 11, 2002.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

In my area I'm hard pressed to find a yard without a hill or some slopes. because of this, I find it hard to use the toro t-bar with a sulky. walking is ok, but with a sulky I am constantly doing a balancing act - especially during breaking and turning. I find that I seem to be more comfortable on a sulky when using my pistol grips or loop steering walk-behinds. I think it's because I have a solid fixed bar or grip to hold, and only have to work the levers to brake or turn - as opposed to moving the whole t-bar around. Anybody else feel this way?
  2. samk

samk LawnSite Member

i have the tbar with the tru trak no problems here. what size engine do you have?
  3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have a prob but it does take some getting use to.

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

I have a toro 44 wb w/17 kawi belt drive and the tru trak just used it on a lawn w/ lots of hills yesterday it works great!! you may want to adjust the t bar so you can have your fingers on the front bar and stear more w/ your palms. Brian
  5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly what Brian said!

I have my T-bar adjusted so I can keep 2 or 3 fingers on the fixed bar on the front, If I need to , I can grab it and squeeze for more pressure on th belts. :cool:

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, you said to adjust the bar more forward to the solid bar - I can see where that helps. But when I make turns, I actually have to pull back one side while I push the other side forward, which makes me remove my fingers from the solid bar. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like you only have to "slack" one side of the t bar to turn? I wonder if my return spings are worn out?
  7. proscene

proscene LawnSite Member

I have the Toro '48 T-bar with the 2 wheel Pro One Velkie. I had to initially re-adjust the T-bar controlls. It did take some getting used to but I like it just fine now. Make sure your Brake controls are adjusted because going down slopes, you'll need to use them. I ride with my hands resting on the corner edges of the T-bar.
  8. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I have a toro 36 belt, with a jungle wheels and I do fine with it. With the T-bar I can get a lot more pressure on the belts. I can ride the sulky across relatively steep side hills without a problem. Turning at the end is a problem because the tires break traction (time for new ones) when the mower is dragging me along.