1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody ever buy the startup programs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by EOS, Feb 19, 2008.

1. EOS

EOS LawnSite Member

There are alot of guy's selling these start up kits with contracts, flyers, letters and so on, anybody try any of these? and if you have how do you ratethem.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't find this site until my 4th year, and I built my own business model that is somewhat different from what these kits contain but I didn't have a clue when I started and I did have some friends who helped me out, somewhat... In that sense these friends were in the same business, and the conflict of interest served me up some raw deals in return for the help, now I think with LS's package this issue should be non-existent.

So if I had had the chance initially I more than likely would buy one, I do think it would help but if nothing else just to see what it's all about... In all honesty I think everyone should spend about $1-200 on some kind of thing to learn from, that kind of money is a small investment in terms of a business and even if you gain nothing but experience from it, that is still worth the while.

I doubt you'd learn anything you won't learn on your own, but it's a heads up and it likely is mostly common sense... I just don't see lawnsite selling snake oil, I have never read a bad review about these things so I do believe their asking price is a good deal for what information and kits in the packages and, well, whatever it contains.
  3. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Get Lawn Care Success from Sean. I have it and recommend it. Very good price on it too.
  4. uniquechev

uniquechev LawnSite Member

I found this site that allows you when you sign up for free things such as fliers , business cards letter heads and alot more !!! Its a great way to get your name out there !!! www.vistaprint.com

check it out and you wont be disappointed !
  5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought and would recommend this. It may sound gimmicky but there is lots to learn here.

and it only costs $15.

6. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

Hey Grits,
    Can you give a little more info on how lawn care sucess worked for you? I am thinking of ordering today.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Do your research and you should be able to find most of the information your looking for, for free. Your local chamber of commerce can also help you set up a good business plan and they have a lot of other useful information for future business owners. I would also suggest that you gain some experience in this industry by working for another landscaping company for a while to learn the ins and outs of this business. Using the search feature on this site will also give you a lot of useful information along with some worthless stuff.
  8. jgangaware

jgangaware LawnSite Member

Yeah I used vistaprint for the first time to get some business cards and t-shirts. You can go on and design your card , which look very professional, and have them shipped to your door cheap. Once you have created your design, you can add it to t-shirts, flyers, calendars, magnets, notepads, pens, or just about anything.
  9. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

It's funny - when I first started out, I was looking for some of this "motivational" information on the lawn care industry and I found that all of these guys started out with a junk mower of some sort (a lot of the time a 21" push) and grew to gross hundreds of thousands of dollars. I ordered one and learned absolutely nothing. Every bit of the information I received from anything I ordered was so generic! I more or less already knew some of the information or learned it from books I bought from the book store ("how to start your own lawn care business"). I can't speak for LawnSite's deal but whatever you do, don't think you'll order the "BS" from those people and it's gonna make you millions!... If you work hard, you'll learn it anyway, probably just as quickly as if you read the junk like I did.
    Check out www.mowingformoney.com - I ordered it and the books that he has pictured there are three ring binders with copies of CRAP! Some of the copies you can't even read or are cut off on the paper - he makes it SEEM professional!
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought that ebook from that link I provided. I have two seasons of lawn care and countless hours spent reading here and I still learned a few things. He goes right into the costs of a crew on a large property and doing the same property solo.

And I disagree with you, you don't learn all quickly if you work hard. You learn things through trial and error if you don't know any better.

I recommend the book that I bought and read twice. It's food for thought and speaking of food it costs less then a pizza. I also bought the Sean Adams thing and didn't like that $70 product more then this $15 product.