Anybody ever cut a softball field out of a slope?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SiteSolutions, Jul 9, 2008.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I am just starting the bid process on a softball practice field for a local school. There is probably 10 or 15 feet of fall across the slope right now; I will have to cut a bunch from the outfield and fill under home plate. I'll be getting more accurate measurements tomorrow so I can figure just how many cu yds I am looking at.

Anybody ever make a softball / baseball field? Or other nearly one acre flat spot out of a slight hillside?

I am wondering if I should just whittle away at it with the Bobcat or rent a dozer. If I get the job it is the sort of thing that doesn't have to be ready right away; I could drag it out across a month or so if need be...

If this was a big money gig, I would rent the bigger iron, hire a good operator, and charge a bunch of money. But this is a smaller school, on a smaller budget, so I am looking to keep it as cheap as possible...

2. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

If you want to keep getting jobs like this, then rent a dozer. It will pay its own rent.

If you dead set on using your skid, then look at one of those Ashland skid scrapers. They move 3 to 4 times more than a standard bucket. And in a load and carry type of job, then it world work real nice. I am looking at one for some bike paths that we have coming up. Plus with the low ground presure of my PT80, doing flood recovery
    work could be something that pne of these would do well. There are a few Utube vids of these working. pretty neat to see.

Renting one of these has got to be alot cheeper than a dozer and just about as cost effictive.

J.

So lets get all fired up guys.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You could also rent a dumping hopper from a Bobcat dealer, they can move about the same as one of those fancy Ashland scrapers. Just make sure you have a hydraulic Q/A to go from the bucket and hopper or even an excavator to load it.

4. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest bid the job right, at the right price. No matter if they are a smaller school or a big school, the jobs costs what it costs to do it right.

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

J.Peterson......I went and looked at the Ashland site and looked at the groundhog 2500. Have you ever used one of these? They say it is laser capable.......any experience on these rascals?

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I would call one of my local guys that has a 953 and get him too move the dirt and finish it too grade.They will make short work of it.
    Then you finish it for seed.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yea we did a job like it...15' cut on one side and a 13' fill on the other something like 16,000 cubic yards of dirt we needed to move...did it with (2) 953's and a Liebherr 621, a Deere 650 dozer and a Volvo EC150 trackhoe, as well as a large roller

i think you should do it with atleast a 953...who knows how hard that dirt is...how deep is the cut and fill? also make sure you rent a roller to compact the fill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on what kinds of equipment that you know how to operate. That is a dozer job to me. I would do all of the cutting and rough grading with the dozer, and finish grade it with the Harley Rake. If you don't have much or any experience running a dozer, you're better off not messing with one. You will spend a lot of time trying to keep grade, windrowing material, etc... You will also have a lot of rough grading to do with your Bobcat. If that's the case I would sub out a dozer contractor for the rough in. A crawler loader might also an option if you would be more comfortable, but it wouldn't be as efficient as a dozer.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Dirt digger......I saw you post these pics before and I have wondered why you chose to pile dump the material instead of spread it with the trucks? What was the reasoning on that one? Just curious.....

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

no chains on the gates...haha...we piled the topsoil in the middle then just pushed it across with that little Case dozer you see in the pictures

spreading it with the truck would have been an option but the topsoil was a little chunky and we also had to push it up the banks, another reason was it was in our slow time this spring so the boss needed something for us to do, he hates to tell guys not to come in