Anybody ever used bucket or blade on a Walker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Currier, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious as to how well the blade or bucket attachments for the walker would work for basic backfilling of trenches, or the spreading of mulch. Any of you walker users that have used these gadgets? I'd apreciate any info. (I already have the Implement hitch)
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

a lot of people dont do this because it puts more wear and tear on the mower with the harder work, however they do work good. in fact i believe it was eric elm who said in the future he is switching from his (awesome in my opinion) jd tractor with cab to his dixies with plows
  3. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

I have a scoop for the Walker and I can tell you, it works remarkably well.
    I bought it primarily for use in my own back yard but have used it to move and grade topsoil for a lawn renovation, mulch installation, and as a power wheelbarrow just to relocate some heavy items that fit nicely in the scoop.

What amazes me most is it's ability to actually dig into turf and lift it out in large sections. Granted, this does require a but of a running start but the Walker is game. Once you "catch an edge" under the turf the bucket will break the strata and you can lift it right out.

Really, this thing does so much more than you'd expect it to do.
    One note: you MUST add about 200 lbs to the back in order to maximize the lifting capabilities.
    I use 3-4 60 lbs bags of play sand from Depot plus the Walker 90 lb tail weight.

BTW, the scoop does not utilize the Implement Hitch quick-connect system. Instead, you remove the hitch "tongue" altogether and connect the main boom to what's left.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i just finished using a 42" snowblower and then came back with the 46" blade, they work great.

i usually keep the blade in the rigid position unless there are big cracks in the pavement or walk.

and i press down on it with one foot to add more cutting ability to remove ice.

in slush it can be slow moving. also if you angle the blade and you get in ice the machine tends to pull to the angled side.

i usually keep the blade straight or in the first angled hole.

i found in heavy slush the Dixie Chopper blade kicked a$$ and the machine is alot quicker also.

i do like the lift height of the Walker blade better, the Dixie is just way too low for transit and backing.
  5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys! I remembered reading Capt Devo's post about the snow pushing. But I had ?? about its working on dirt and after shoveling 4 yards of rock on a small job I have definately been wondering about the bucket/scoop. I checked prices it looks to be around 1650.00 for a new one. At first it sounds high...but after shoveling, wheel barrowing, dumping and shoveling don't sound too bad! :)

This landscaping stuff really drives home the point " right tool for the job."
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

sorry, i had a snow-tracked mind.

i use the blade for moving gravel, top soil and recently spreading manure over my garden.

it has been a back saver.

i even welded a hook and plate on top with a ball for moving trailers around and stretching fence.

i haven't had alot of use with the bucket, i do think they should make it a little higher off the ground and lift higher also.

i am designing a bucket and fork add on for my blade, i'll post some pics when i get them done.

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Does the Walker really do a good job at spreading soil and gravel ? Maybe I am doing something wrong because I found that using the front mount aerator caused the tires to spin in soft soil because of low traction. If I had a load up front in the bucket and was in 3 inches of fluffy soil I think I would be stuck quickly.

No ?

8. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

The weigh distribution with the bucket is altogether different wite the buck vs. the aerator (I have both).
    You are right, the aerator creates a lot of forward resistance.

However, the bucket's length places a lot of weight well-forward of the drive wheels and creates a lever effect that increases traction by an enormous amount.

Traction is actually better as a bucket loader than a mower when it comes to soft, hilly and uneven terrain.