Anybody from the Houston area?

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by zdem, Jul 18, 2004.

1. zdem

zdem LawnSite Member

Hello all! This is my first post. I am what you call a green rookie. Really green.

I plan to start a lawn care co. in the Sugar Land area this coming spring. I figure I’ll use the coming months to plan as much as possible to try and kick the thing off right. I have what seems like a million questions. If you guys don’t mind and if you have knowledge about one or all of the following, your responses would be appreciated.

1. I currently work full time and I plan to continue to work full time when I start the business. I want to put two or three employees on a fully equipped rig, and have them work the clientele in my absence. Can this work or is it just to hard finding good help?

2. I see Mexicans working for the established lawn care companies in my area, are these guys lagitt, do they have green cards or something? If not, how are the companies able to use them without getting mixed up with the law?

3. How do you finance the equipment? Did a bank give you a loan?

4. How much do you charge for an average size yard in an upscale neighborhood?

5. Where do you park your equipment?

That should get me started. Thanks in advance for the help.

DM

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Zdem, welcome to Lawnsite!! I'm down in southern Brazoria Co. The city of Brazoria to be exact. You will find lots of help here.. I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I myself am new to owning my own Business this year.

1 I don't think that's an unattainable goal. However, you won't be able to work full time in BOTH your current career and the green biz.. It just takes a lot of time initially to establish your self. Realistically, I doubt I will hit that goal next year.And I do this full time currently.

2 I couldn't tell you,

3 Yes

4 Usually I don't do anything for less than $30

5 Inside my enclosed trailer, in front of my house ( I live in a very Rural area.)

I don't think your idea of owning an asset is a bad one, I just bet you'd be in better shape if you would save up the cash for equipment, do this parttime until you develop a client base, And most importantly, learn how to manage a small operation before you go big time. I hope this helps you out.

3. zdem

zdem LawnSite Member

Hello and thanks Lawnking,

That sounds like some pretty sound advice. Iv'e been thinking maybe I need to slow down a little. That's the problem, how to get customers so I can pay for the equipment. I'll keep think and planning and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks again.

Danny

4. zdem

zdem LawnSite Member

Hey Lawnking,

what brand of mower do you use? How often do you perform maintenance on it, and do you do perform the maintenance yourself or do you take it in?

thanks

danny

5. txlawnking

Wow Danny I haven't checked this thread in a while.. I run a 52" Super surfer, a 21" Sapper commercial, A Kawi' trimmer, Stihl bd420c blower, and a junky old Botag edger..

Yes I do ALL my own repairs and maintenance.. I usually do a thurough service every weekend .. Clean air filters, wash machines check all bolts etc..

6. zdem

zdem LawnSite Member

What do you think about Scag power equipment? I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. What would you and the lawn mowing community consider to be the best walk behind mower?

Have you had a pretty good year so far? I'm really thinking hard about taking the plunge!!

Good luck!

Danny

7. txlawnking

Truthfully, Zdem, I'm not having the growth that I really want, but I'm working on it. As for Scag equipment, I used some of their belt WB's extensivelly when I worked for an LCO in Austin. They are built well, heavy, and the belt WB has very heavy controls. I guess they are OK. I havent used their ztr's or their hydro WB's, but I'd bet they are pretty good, I did use a frontmount scag as well and it was an OK unit as well. Good Luck shopping...