1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Had a Deck Lift Issue w/a JD 757?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MMLawn, Apr 18, 2005.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well this is what happens when you brag on a new piece of equipment I guess!! LOL

I love the new John Deere 757 I added to the line up but had a weird thing happen today with it and it only has about 12 hours on it. The one thing that I was a little unsure about is what this issue happens to be. On the JD ZTR's the deck height adjustment is done by a turning of a knob to the desired height after of course using the lift assist to lift the deck into adjustment position. Well the knob has always been a tad tight to turn I felt, but today it would not turn at all and I mean we TRIED! Luckily it was set at 3" so I could use it. It does have a grease fitting on the bottom of an inset bolt that appears to control part of the turning that my grease gun would not reach without a flex hose (which I lost awhile back and dang it haven't replaced it yet so I can't add grease this evening to see if that helps) but I'm also not sure that alone is enough to cause this problem. Anybody have this happen or any suggestions on the cause/fix before I can call the dealer tomorrow.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

hate to point out the obvious but did you make sure the weight was off of the adjuster(pedal pushed down) probably a dumb idea but just thought I'd make sure.
  3. MMLawn

Yeahm thats why I included this....after of course using the lift assist to lift the deck into adjustment position......in my question.

Thanks though
  4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

oops, skimmed that post a little fast.
  5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had a problem with my 757 at all. Sorry to hear this happened to you with only 12 hrs. on the unit. I would be on the dealer's door step in the morning to get it fixed right away. Don't let this spoil you on the 757 becuase it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I hope it works out to be an easy, quick fix, MML.

That was one thing that kept me from getting a 757. All the weight of the deck rests on that 'cogged' wheel which the knob turns to adjust the deck. The wheel appeared to be made from what we used to call 'pot metal', and I was afraid of it.

Keep us posted, and a quick fix to ya' !
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine will turn tight if they aren't greased every so often. Try greasing it first should help. Mine first 757 did that the day I got it and hasn't done it since that was 3 seasons ago.
  8. MMLawn

Thanks Mike I'm going to try that in the AM. I looked at the bottom of the notched wheel that turns where the grease fitting is and it was completely dry with no grease on it (not sure if there should be some there or not either though) so I hoping that maybe it just wasn't greased very well when setup and since we have of course been turning it quite a bit that is the problem.
  9. MMLawn

Anybody else?
  10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Use a grease gun, buy a flex tube if you cant find yours, grease her up and you should be good to go.