Anybody have a 5s?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by whiffyspark, Jan 28, 2014.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I got $15 off per line per month. Than an additional $100-400 credit each month
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. whiffyspark

I was mainly pointing out what he said about canceling. You have to pay it out of your pocket
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. tonygreek

Gotcha. Glad you got a good deal!

Biggest thing for me in dumping the 2 year, subsidized phone contracts was looking at the 2yr total cost of ownership by buying the phone and then getting a monthly, no contract plan. It's...stunning.

5. whiffyspark

The way I justified this was.

For 2 phones on the next plan it was actually cheaper with the updated plans.

Purchase price is around 600 for a phone

30x12 Is 360.

Trade in on I phone is generally 200-250.

Activation fees are waived.

So basically I can get a new phone every 12 months close to free
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. whiffyspark

How are you liking the nexus 5? I think I'm going to replace my note with it. It's only $15 a line. I ended up getting 10gb plan lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. tonygreek

It's the best phone I've ever had (although each new iteration of a phone should be that). To me, the size makes it more useful/interactive, but the real benefit is that there is exactly zero carrier-installed bloatware on the phone. Instead of waiting months and months for a simple Android update (it takes Verizon and ATT that long to bastardize it for their own purposes), I receive updates as Google pushes them out. I've always rooted my phones, which can be a pain, but now I don't even worry about it. And, at $399, I can't think of anything that comes close.

8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

What does "rooted my phones" mean?

9. whiffyspark

How do you like not having a physical home button? Thats the only thing I'm worried about.

Same thing with tablets
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tonygreek

If it tells you anything, I just had to pick up my phone and imagine it as having a physical button. Makes zero difference to me. My various Galaxy phones didn't have one either. If I use the iPhone, it almost feels odd to me that there is a button.

Two other things I like:
    - I think "Ok, Google..." is quite a bit better than "Siri".
    - I like the facial recognition security on the Nexus. I pick it up and it recognizes me, forgoing the need to input a pass code.

Biggest learning curve was the complete integration of Hangouts as the sms/mms platform.