Anybody have a moving bed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Feb 6, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I am setting up another mowing rig [ rig: in Idaho that means truck] that has a 7x9 flatbed. I have seen moving floors on large wood product trucks for dumping and was wondering if anybody has fabricated a simple design for dumping grass using a electric winch. If you would share any design ideas I would be most appreciative. Ease of cleaning and maintenance and the ability to move 1000 to 1500 lbs are important. Thanks Tom.

2. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Dont have one as you describe it, but the title of your post sure got my attention!:D

B

3. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

I think I know of something that may work for you....I've seen them on TV for unloading pickup beds....basically is it a large tarp (but stronger) that winds onto a roll that is hooked to your tailgate....before loading w/ mulch etc...you pulld the tarp to the front of the bed then load as you would normally....then to unload you attatch a handle to the winding mechanism attatched to the tailgate and wind up the tarp.....the winding action acts as a conveyor to the end of the bed and materials simply roll out of the bed...
    **** I did find a source of them....check w/ Country Home Products 1-800-446-8746.....I think it is about $100
    plus s/h.....Let me know if you get one....I'd like to know your experience w/ it and how well it is constructed.

Hope this helps....

Andrew

4. dishboy

from zone 6

Andyinchville: Thanks for your reply. I already have one of those fabric unloaders on my other truck. They work Ok as long as you don't put to much on them. The problem I have with that system is the wet grass sticks to them and they stink even after you dump. You can't just dump and then broom out the truck. Also they just slip out under leaves leaving the load in the truck.

5. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Dishboy, I have used a winch to unload grass. I't actually worked very good. I used it to pull up to 5000 # of grass off the back of an 18' trailer(all the way from the front). I mounted the winch on the tounge of my trailer right below deck level. I always kept the cable hooked onto the back of my trailer. I had a steel L shaped frame up in the front that was also attached to a cable. When I was ready to dump I would hook the cables together and run them around a pulley and it would pull the grass right out. The only reason I don't use it anymore is that my winch quit working and the place where I dump will pull it off with their loader. If you want me to draw a diagram or take some pictures send me a pm or e-mail me at yankeehater@kc.rr.com

6. dishboy

from zone 6

Royalslover, I sent you a a pm with my E-mail address. I see you like Third Day, I have seem them twice and will catch them again this spring. Have you heard 12 stones? Thanks Tom