anybody have any experience running a toro 328-d groundsmaster t

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowing grass 1111, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i am looking to buy either a 31 hp, 72 '' ztr or a Toro 328-D GROUNDSMASTER 72'' 28 hp diesel with 1,200 hours . i have ran ztr mowers for the last 6 years and never have used a toro groundsmaster.. anyway how do these 2 mowers compare? the property i will be cutting is ballparks and soccer fields from 10 - 15 acres and hopefully a 30 acre college .

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 325-D's. Not as fast as a Z, think around 9 mph top speed. They are indestructable to say the least. Great for getting under low trees and bushes with the out front deck. You will make better time with a Z mowing recreation fields, that I can tell you.

3. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would ge with the Z. Get a diesel, better time. Or go to exmark and get there new front runner. Front mount deck, that thing will run! Demoed one late last fall. That is a nice mower. Nothing wrong with the 325's though. I have one and one older 220-D. Diesel engines, indestructable, solid machines. Thing is speed. Definently slower that any Z.

4. mowing grass 1111

yeah i think i will go with a super z.. i was hoping the toro would be faster

5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you demo a Steiner 230. I've got 4 of them and prefer them to my DC ztr's. I put 26" rubber on the front drive tires and carry a 12mph ground speed. Plenty fast enough. You'll hardly ever find anywhere smooth enough to justify higher ground speeds. The Steiner decks leave the best striping definition of any mower I've ever seen. The Steiner has a tighter turning radius than the Toro and has weight transfer as well as differential lock, making it an absolute go anywhere machine especially on super steep areas. Demo one if you can and I doubt if you'd be pleased with a Z afterwards................Lynn

6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I forgot to add. My 230's all have the Kubota 28hp diesel which is an absolute fuel mizer. I can't get any of the machines to use more than .7gph under any circumstances. Loads of attachments available too.............Lynn

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Check out the Kubota ZD331 / 72" deck. I mow a school district and parks for the township.

The GPS says I'm running between 11 and 12 mph wide open.

8. mowing grass 1111

i am still undecided.. i found a toro groundmaster with a 10' deck that i am interested in the hours might be a bit much at 2,600 hours . how well do these mowers hold up

9. mowing grass 1111

the steiners and kubotas are nice mowers but i really don't care for them .. all though i do have a 4x4 kubota tractor with frontend loader and a power rake

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not being confrontational, just wondering..... what don't you care about the Kubota mowers?