Anybody have the factory Halogen Lights on JD 757?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello all,

I considered lights in the past but couldn't justify the expense. However, I am about to go into a full-time position and my few existing mowing accounts will be done after hours and on weekends. So there will be times when I'm trying to finish up as it gets dark. My question is, for those of you who have the halogen lights offered by Deere on your 757, do they give you ample light to actually mow? Are they worth the money? Also, can the dealer mount the switch so that it looks factory installed instead of cheaply-rigged?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Grassman6

Grassman6 LawnSite Member

Don't waste your $$ on the factory lights...too weak for late night cutting. Go to the auto parts store (or Walmart) and secure a 30 amp relay, spool of 14ga wire, 20 amp fusable link, 15 amp toggle or rocker switch, and a 12volt light (3x5 inches). Remove the control cover on the right side of the Z and locate the drilled slot for either a square rocker or round toggle switch. The Z-Trak is pre-drilled for both so as to give that professional appearance you want. A simple (cheap) test light will help you identify the switched hot wire from the key switch for one of the relay wires and the rest goes pretty quick. One wire to ground, one to the battery and of course one to the light. The wiring diagram for the relay in on the back of the blister card. Scrape the paint off at the mounting hole adjacent to the front castor wheel and mount the light as far forward as possible to prevent shadows. Total investment is about $42 USD.
  3. Pecker

Wow. Great advice Grassman. I'm not quite the mechanic or brave enough when it comes to the wiring harness - lol. Although, to my credit, I have successfully mounted a Warn winch on a nice atv before. However, it sounds like if I follow your exact advice, I shouldn't have any trouble eh?
  4. Pecker

Opinions, anybody else?
  5. Z-turn

Z-turn LawnSite Member

Anyone else made thier own light kit for the JDs? Thinking about making my own and need some advice.

1. Where should I put them?

On Roll Bar and run the wires down the inside of the tubes or on the front next to the casters where there seems to be a spot already? On the front they become vulnerable to bushes and the like and on the roll bar they are vulnerable to low branches.​

2. What should I avoid doing? How much draw is too much?