Anybody have the new Deere 840 Z ... ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S L C, May 19, 2008.

1. S L C

S L C LawnSite Senior Member

After reading all this crud with the new Deere line of 800 PRO Z-turn's on here.... does anyone actually have or demoed one of the 840's??????? (I like my liquid-cooled Kawasawki's.. :weightlifter:) Possibly looking into one as long as I could get some confirmation that there is no 'lag' performance problems on hills and such with this model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, if you bought one, what was the final price that your dealer came up with??? Thanks in advance!!! :usflag:

2. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat last month that you're in now. 1994 F725 with 20hp liquid cooled Kawi. Love the little monster, just won't die! Wanted the 840 but after the discussions here I chickened out and went to the 757 with the 25 air-cooled

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up an 840A a few weeks ago. I paid $11,000 + tax = $11,670. I've only got a few hours on it, but here are my initial thoughts.

Deck drive system - BIG idlers and a nice spring loaded idler with lots of take-up.
    Grips on the sticks
    Parking brake
    It's relatively fast
    I like the floor pan. The foot rest is tall enough to support your self with the balls of your feet.
    Styling. It's pretty.

Dislikes:
    Engaging the blades almost kills the engine. You have to wait for them to wind up. Don't engage them while moving, you'll get thrown from the seat.
    It rides like a lumber wagon. You get beat up
    I can't mow a straight line to save my life. The dampers are too stiff and the integrated hydros are sensitive. I think it's made worse by the harsh ride.
    While the electric deck lift and dial Height of Cut adjustment is nice, the latch knob is difficult to operate.
    The machine feels front heavy and is light on the right side. It makes a clean Z turn hard to accomplish. Too much tire slip.

The 800 series has a lot of potential, but I can't recommend spending the money until Deere addresses the numerous SERIOUS issues.

The problem is, the issues are core functon type issues, not just anoyances. I'm not sure how Deere will address issues with weight and balance, controlability, power, etc...

Q

4. S L C

Thank you very much for your thoughts......... anyone else?? :clapping:

5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What engine do you get for $11k?

6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

26hp Liquid Cooled Kawi is the only engine available on the 840.

Q

7. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the big block engine available only on the 830 . No complaints on that Model

8. Jonathanmb1974

Jonathanmb1974 LawnSite Member

I have the 810 and love it ... the only thing I had to get used to was the response you have on the steering. Compared to the 737 I had it is really touchy. You don't have to push the levers far to get it to spin.

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My Z830 has 94 hours and it has yet to go 1 week without an out-of-service condition.

4 transmission belt failures
    1 deck belt failure (currrently out of service on this one)
    1 broken deck hanger.

I have no love for this piece of schitt. I really regret buying it and second the poor handling. Dealer has been good. Last breakdown they loaned me an Exmark Lazer XS diesel, GREAT handling machine!

10. S L C

I am far from a z-turn expert, but I demoed a 54" 820 today (for about 25 minutes), and it was a total POS.... no power going through a little taller already cut grass from my jd 345, and it was bogging the motor down, not even close to top speed!!!! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::nono:
    & the levers are so touchy, it is almost impossible to make a straight line!!! Took it back to one of the guys' pretty 'high up' there, told him the dislikes and he just kind of smiled and said that this isn't the first time he has heard this..................... arrrrgh.... maybe the toro or CC is the way to go???? :usflag: