1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody have Toro Z Master Commercial ZTR's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawns, May 18, 2008.

1. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

I am looking to get a new Toro 48" 21 HP Kawasaki Z Master Z400 series mower does anybody run these mowers for everyday use? I was wondering how the cut quality is and I thought it was a good price for $5700. Thanks.

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I would upgrade to the 500 series well worth it.
  3. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a toro z500 with 60in deck and 28hp kawi on it, its an amazing mower, the turbo force deck also cuts and stripes really nice. i would recomend toro to anyone.
  4. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

just got one myself 60'' TORO, 28 kawi, Turboforce deck and LOVE IT!!:weightlifter::weightlifter:
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

500 series for commercial..... The price will be higher
  6. JaysLawns

JaysLawns LawnSite Member

Ok so you dont think the 400 series will work for commercial? I hear the 7 gauge deck on the 400 series has a pretty nice cut. It has the same 5 1/2 " deck as the turbo force right?
  7. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the 400 series will be fine for commerical work, last summer i worked at my toro dealer selling mowers, and the 400 series is deffently a commerical unit.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have 3 450 series toros- at least that is what my invoice is saying. I have 2 500 series toros - All have 52 decks, DFS baggers. Everything is the same. 500 has a different frame set up and horiztal engine. Alittle bigger foot print but that is about it. Either way - 400 or 500 will get the job done for ya.
  9. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i own the same model you are talking about, except with the 52" Deck. If you buy it, you'll wish you would have gotten the turbo force deck. mine has been having cut quality issues to this day. and also it is not good in slighty damp or wet grass, AT ALL. i cut a yard this morning, and it was drizzling outside, and it was clump galore. the underside of the deck collected so much grass, that at one point, you could here the engine getting lower to almost a shut off of the machine. it was bad. if your going to be cutting strictly bermuda and thinner grasses, then id say go get it. but if your going to be cutting thicker grass like fescue, like myself, get the turbo force deck.

im taking my mower back tomorrow to see what the dealer can do for me.

like i said, if your maintaining properties weekly with little growth, it will be an outstanding mower. if not, don't get it.

Just my two pennies, hope this helped
  10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I have a similar model as the one your looking at. I use mine commercially. It's just a smaller frame. I choose this model because of some of the accounts I maintain are some what smaller. If I had a 500 series on some of accounts I would feel like a shark in goldfish bowl. However, I have picked up some new accounts that are larger and I wish I had the larger frame and deck. I can't justify another ZTR.

I really like the Turbo Force deck. I have cut with a lot of the other decks out there (Trivantage, Kubota Pro Series, Dixe Chopper, Cub Cadet Command), and I feel it's the better of them. It will leave a carpet smooth finish like another fine platform, Ultra Cut. Clipping dispersal is real good, and I feel does great in wet conditions as well. It will build up, but that will be with any deck I feel. Especially in Spring weather. Sometimes in real moist conditions I will lower the throttle down a little, and seems do a lot better than a full RPM's. I also do this in very weedy, different kinds of grass accounts. The thing just produces too much vacuum. You better not get close to a piece of debris or it will suck it up from 6" away.

Overall I am very pleased with my machine. I wish at times it were a little bigger. I can't ask no more from the deck. I love the deck. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I try to stay on the maintenance points as close as possible. I run Mobil 1 Extended Performance full synthetic and change at 75 hrs.

I feel you can't go wrong with the Toro. However, your machine is only as good as your dealer I feel. I have a wonderful dealer that takes very good care of me when I need them. Your best bet is to demo some different mowers to see which you like.

Sorry to be long winded.