1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody hear of thatch away?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, May 23, 2006.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

how effective is it? i can see how it would work, but it might take a few applications and some time. basically sounds like it contains thousands of beneficial microorganisms that eat their way through the thatch. anybody?
  2. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am not familiar with this exact product, but I would call BS. One of the biggest lawn care companies in my area used to market a product called either Super Soil or Turf2Max. They claimed that the product was a liquid aerfiier. The state soil board finally disallowed them to label the product as a soil aerifier in the state of Arkansas because they had absolutely no research to back up their product. I am a researcher at the University of Arkansas, and I can tell you that their is nothing scientific about a liquid aerifier. That is not to say that it is not possible that the product you are talking about would not increase microbial activity, etc. But, in my opinion, it is unprofessional to be selling customers products that have not been proven to be of any benefit.

Most of these products have Nitrogen which greens up the turf, magically, and the homeowner will pay big bucks because they think it is a miracle cure. not a professional thing to do. But, just my opinion.
  3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i was in springdale/johnson Arkansas visiting my brother when i saw this product. can't remember the place, but it was a small organic garden center. they sold a lot of bradfield products and nitron industries products, which is who makes the thatch away. i am always looking to research and try different products, but like to hear opinions from others first. thanks. if you need someone to research a product on cool season grasses i can help you out. i would be happy to try anything in my backyard. also, if you have any research papers or booklets from the University on lawn care I would love to read them. I just started an organic based lawn care company in Ohio, and am trying to absorb as much information as possible.
  4. Turfdoctor1

that is really interesting that the product that you saw just happened to be in the same exact location as me. I don't know if that is just coincidence or if it is the same product that is labeled in a different way. Small world, i guess.
  5. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Hey Turfdoctor, I know the company that is advertising the super soil. Its Fairway and we have them here in SW Mo. too. I personally think its a gimmick. But if it works then bye bye aerators.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There used to be a product out by a company called Ringer that was called Restore. It is probably like the same thing.
  7. Turfdoctor1

didn't want to say the name, but yes it is fairway. And, no, it doesn't work. It's impossible from a soil physics point of view. The only way that I could foresee any change is if it somehow increases earthwork activity or something like that.

I personally conducted a series of three studies with this product. The inventor of the product and Fairway (the company making all the money off the product) wanted to compare bulk density on areas treated with this product to areas treated with a traditional aerifier. After the first study, they claimed the soil we used had to much sand. So, we found another spot on a golf course. After this study, they claimed that because the area was receiving traffic it was not a fair comparison and that it needed to be put out at a higher volume. So, for the third study, they brought in their own equipment, sprayed their own plots, and all I did was monitor bulk density over time. Trust me, it's a gimmick.
  8. jtlnl

jtlnl LawnSite Member

a product with humic acid would help to break down thatch a little faster
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I used a granular product to get rid of thatch. Can't remember the name, but I do remember that it was expensive. Took 2-4 apps at about $10/1000'. It did seem to work. It was basically little pellets of very good organic fertilizer with some beneficial fungi added, and sugar coated for a food source to get the little critters going. The idea was that the microbes would eat the thatch, or make soil conditions right for its nautral breakdown. As far as aerification goes, what little I know about soil science tells me that a good microbial population in the soil should make the soil less likely to become compacted. The microbial action will bust open soil particles, helping alleviate compaction.