Anybody here have poor trailer tire wear?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mtcates, May 21, 2005.

1. mtcates

mtcates LawnSite Member

I have a 6 X 12 ft landscape trailer with dual 3500 lb axles and I have been having poor tire wear as long as I have had the trailer. The front axle wears fine but the rear axle wears horrible. Anyone here have similar problems? And how many miles should I expect out of tires and brakes?
  2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Does the trailer ride level? I've noticed some trailers riding high in the front due to the tow vehicle not using a drop hitch. I think this would cause excessive wear to the rear tires of a tandem trailer.
  3. mtcates

mtcates LawnSite Member

Yes the trailer rides perfectly level. I'm actually thinking I have a bent spindle on the left rear. The right rear wears ok but not as good as the front tires. I might replace the rear axle. What else could it be? The weight is balanced on the trailer.
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the rear wheels slide more when turning. mine also wear more. they also flip up more nails into the tire as well.
  5. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

I have a tandem axle 6'x16' and my rear tires wear out really fast. Maybe 1500-200mi ! I do a lot of lawns on cul de sacs and the sharp turning causes the rears to scrub a lot. Funny I found this thread because I wanted to post a question about less expensive replacement tires. My trailer uses ST205/75D15 tires, the cheapest I've been able to find is about $85 before install. A new rim and tire is $89 bucks I think. Does anyone know a cheaper replacement that will fit?
  6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

you mite wont to look at your hub and bearings to see it they are loose
  7. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

are you using a passenger grade tires, or trailer tires? Trailer tires generally a little narrower than "P" tires last so much longer. If you have a
    Sams close by they can order trailer tires.
  8. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

Sounds like your axles are out of alignment with each other. Measure from center hub to center hub on each side and see if you have a difference in the spacing.
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

you are not 16ft enclosed Southwest trlr, wore out the original rear axle tires very quickly. The dealer for Southwest told me that they put on cheap tires with little sidewall strength. Have replaced the rear axle tires with a stronger sidewall tire...we'll see how they do
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got tires for $55 a piece and my neighbor is a mechanic put them on for free. (he is the only driveway that gets done for free)