Anybody install a fuel gauge?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ALarsh, Jul 22, 2005.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Has anybody successfully installed a fuel tank gauge on a Z that does not have one? I would like to install one on mine to take the guess work out of how much gas is left.

Thanks,
    ALarsh

2. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Got my kit from JD. Took about 1.5 hrs & works great!

3. ALarsh

from Midwest

Do you have any pics? Would that kit work on a toro? Thanks!

4. ALarsh

from Midwest

5. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Did u ask the dealer if toro has a kit?

6. ALarsh

from Midwest

Yes. They said they don't know about one.

7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

why not look in the tank and go ok i am gettin low time to fill the tank? :dizzy:

8. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

There a company that makes them. I cant recall the name of it though. When i worked for TSE International, we used them there. we had to cut a hole in the fuel cells and install this little thing. it kind of looked like the float valve in the back of your john. But it worked real well, needed no wiring or any of that crap.

if you want something electric, let me know and i can find lots of places for that kind of thing.

I will try and get ahold of the guy at tse that does the buying and see if he can tell me name of the company that makes that for them.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would measure how deep the tank is and check with some other brand O.E.M.'s that offer a gauge in the cap. That would be much cheeper and no hassle to install.

10. CCWKen

CCWKen LawnSite Member

Ditto on the manual gauge. Use a tape measure or yard stick and measure from the bottom of the tank to the top of the filler neck. (Where the cap seals.) This is the measurement you need for the manual gauges.

There used to be a guy/company that sold them on ebay--All different sizes, except the one I needed. That was a few months ago. You might check more recent listings. I forget the cost but I remember them being reasonable even with shipping. I seem to recall about $20.