Anybody interested in Milky Spore ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jeffyr, May 20, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious to see if any of you have been using Milky Spore for grubs and your success rate. I considered trying it, but haven't done it yet. I have been using Merit and have not had any problems, but looking for an alternative to the pesticides for those who are flatout against them ( I have a couple like that--no matter how much I try to educate them on it they are plain old against it.)

While we are on the subject, has anybody used Amaze as a crabgrass control ? (corn glutten meal) I wanted to try last year, but local distributor wasn't carrying it.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried the milky spore on my lawn last fall (my lawn is the testing grounds for everything). Anyways I had a ton of grubs and guess what this spring still a ton of grubs. I just put down Mach 2 so they are dying as I type HAHAHAHAHAHA die grubs. The milky spore is a bit expensive about $30 to cover 7K and the app is to be repeated 4 times in the first year then it is covered for like 20 years since it is a bacteria that develops and controls the grubs. I'm not patient enough for the 4 app stuff.
  3. jeffyr

I have heard thet it is a good idea to use mach 2 in addition to milky spore if you are infested since the milky spore will not gain control for a currative solution. It will be a preventative for the future. I would like to try on my lawn, but there is alot of shade so grubs have never been a problem here....same with crabgrass.

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by my North Country Organic rep that if you have an existing grub problem, then a fast organic approach to use would be to spray the nematodes sponge. As mentioned above, the milky spore is a preventative measure for the future and cannot really help now if grubs are present.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is all that I know about it. My neighbor behind my house had a bad problem a few years ago and used it. He said he applied it the 4 times and he hasn't had a problem for over 2 years now.
  6. jeffyr

Well, I guess we all know about as much as each other. I just wanted to know if anyone used it.

Maybe I will talk one of the pesticide free people into trying it...cheaper than renovating because of grub damage.