1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody keep alota gas on board?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DoetschOutdoor, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I was just wondering if any of you guys kept more than just a few cans of gas onboard like using a 15gallon tank bolted to the floor or a toolbox? Im looking at the 15 gallon from Nothern Tool and was thinking I would mount it to the top of my toolbox inside my trailer. Anybody have any opinions on these things, I think it might save time by only going to the gas station once a week instead of several times
  2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Each truck carrys a 5gal mixed and a 5gal regular. I REALLY want a 50gal transfer tank for my truck bed. Wah that would be sweet!

Remember guys, OSHA laws require that we use those metal, certified gas cans with the long necks. The ones that cost like $150 each. Yep.

My dad is near retirement from an extended-lifetime career with OSHA. He told me had ran an inspection at a landscaping company a few weeks ago and gave them a warning for their gas cans. He had to actually follow around the different crews each day and make sure all the workers were following safety procedures and using the right type of protective equipment as they mowed lawns! Man would that be boring.
  3. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I carry a 22 Gal. gas caddy,from my local marina. i've got one for the boat and thought it would be great for the mowers and it is. Just pull up next to the trailer,put the nozzle in the mower and a few pumps and off I go. The only can is 5 Gal.of mix.
  4. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

One 5-gallon regular and one two-gallon mix in a betterbuilt toolbox.
  5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the one you want, the 15 gallon from northern. I can't believe more people don't use them. Saves trips to the gas station.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone know how much you're allowed to carry?
    I'd like to mount a transfer tank to the front of the enclosed. I know brickman does it around here but I'd imagine there is some sort of permit involved.

I need 40 gallons or more to really make it worth my while.
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I keep two 2 gal. cans on the trailer. One can of mixed for the hand held stuff and a can of regular for the mowers (or the truck) just in case. We try to make sure everything is full of fuel before we leave the shop each day. Unless it's an unusually big job, I don't think I'll use more in a day than the riders tanks will hold. Carrying cans/tanks of extra fuel is a lot of extra weight to drag around for no reason. I worry about theft and of course fire safety as well. My extra fuel is safely stored at the shop and that's usually where we fuel up.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I fill up also and carry a 2 gallon can and 1 gallon of mix with me

9. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't cary around any fuel cans, my equipment holds enough for a days worth of cutting. fill up at home with 5 gallon cans.
  10. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I look at that same 15 gal. tank from Northern Tool almost everyday, but have not ventured into purchasing it yet. Looks awesome though!! Is it operated through use of a hand crank, or does it have a pump on it?