Anybody keep their trailer and gear in a public storage locker?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bxbrown, Sep 19, 2006.

1. bxbrown

bxbrown LawnSite Member

I won't have the luxury of a garage or driveway to store the trailer. Do the public storage places allow this? I'd swing by every morning to pick up, and drop off in the evening. If you do this, I don't suppose they have running water at those places to rinse the mowers off?

Thanks in advance.

2. Keith's Lawn Service

Keith's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I keep my extra equipment and snow equipment in one, Tell them your a business and they will give you 24 hour access. Dont tell them what you are keeping in there, They have a rule on gas in the units...

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

From seeing pics and such on LS, I would have to say many people do this. I am stilll partial to either having my own yard or keeping gear at my house so I can have a little more security and flexibility but if I was in a jam, I would throw my stuff in storage as a last resort.

4. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Im thinking about doing that b/c i live at an apartment now and have to drive to my parents house to get my equipment, dont really want to have another monthly payment though?

5. papaseven

papaseven LawnSite Member

I didn't want it parked in my driveway so I parked it at a storage place.
    Since it was a empty trailer I just paid a nominal fee to park it outside.
    It was fully fenced and had a keyless gate system so I felt quite safe knowing that my homeowners covered utility trailers up to 2500 bucks even if used for business.

Needless to say it came up missing one night.

My homeowners insurance was all set to write the check.
    I just casually mentioned that I had it at a storage facility. That stopped the check writing fast!!
    Turns out that it wasn't covered unless it was at my primary residence or hooked to my pickup.

Learned a valuable lesson that day!

Geno

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

not a problem. My father does this on a small scale ($75-80K/year) and works out of a storage shed. He got a wide one so he could back his trailer and all into it. $75.00/ month and a few hundred a year for renters insurance.

7. nfarr

nfarr LawnSite Member

In my area almost all the public storage places allow people to store lawn mowing equipment. I have one that is 12' x 30" I can back the trailer into the unit with all the gear on it, drop the door and lock. It works really well for me.

There are at least 5 LCO operating out of the same location I use. Most park trailers outside and equipment in garages.

I have power in the unit with an overhead light. I can plug in my blade sharpener and do whatever else I need to do. I dont have water.

8. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

Most self storage places have camera's or at the very least have a digital log of security gate code logins when people access the property. Did you have the property manager look into these things to help you?

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

The storage place around here lets you rent the parking lot also its gated has cameras even though it wouldnt stop a serious thief it has a 99.9% chance of not having your stuff stolen theres about 5 LCOS with enclosed trailers obviously who keep tehre trucks there

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I keep my trailer in a storage facility, a 10x20 unit. I'm in the unit closest to the office so I've gotten to know the manager pretty well, he lets me get away with all kinds of stuff, like unloading bags of grass in the dumpster, using their water to wash my truck, and so on.

Just make sure your insurance is clear on where you are storing your stuff, and look into having enough coverage in case of theft.