1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody know anything about ransome mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

im looking into buying a used 48icnh ransome mower with 12.5hp. Is that too small of an engine, and how are the quality of ransome mowers.
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Bobcat 48's (made by Ransomes) they have v-twin 15 Kaws on them. A 48 w/ a 12.5 HP single stroke is a little underpowered, but thats how they all were in the late 80's and early 90's
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a 48" ransomes (bobcat ) off a LS member earlier this year, with the 12.5 kawi, and it cuts and performs great. I cut one account where the grass about 1' tall, and it still cut it using 2/3 of the deck. If you're going to use a sulky or proslide i don't know, but mine worked out fine. people on here seem to love their bobcats, especially the older ones!
  4. chariot1964

chariot1964 LawnSite Member

I have used Ransome Bobcat w/b 's with sulkies for over 6 years now, and currently using 48" with 15hp kawi, and still haven't had a bad experience yet, thoroughly pleased...
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i have 7 of them and all run rather well, very reliable and great cutting machines. good luck, you will not disappointed. tony
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 12hp Briggs on a 32" Bob-Cat and it does good even with Jungle Wheels. The extra spindle will put more of a load on it for sure though.
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my new Bob-Cat 48", 15 Hp, belt drive mower!!!! It cuts and stripes extremely well!!!!!
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Bobcat's are excellent mechanically, unfortunity the deck design is outdated, you want something identical to the Exmark design. I am talking about the clearance's and spacing on the blade chamber and baffling.
  9. Four C. Landscaping

Four C. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was GIVEN a 36" Ransoms Bobcat.It was beat 12.5 Kawi. brakes only on one side.And I love it.They seem to be a "can't kill it" kind of mower that I am going to fix and use as a back up mower and look into a new one eventually.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the 12.5 may be a little underpowered. mine has a 14 HP Kawi that works great