1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Know Anything About Those Ladybug Look Alike Beetles????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by get rich, Aug 2, 2001.

1. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

YOU KNOW THEY LOOK ALOT LIKE LADY BUGS,BUT I DON'T THINK THEY ARE.THEY BITE,AND ARE RED W/BLACK DOTS AND TRY TO COME IN DOORS WHEN THE TEMPS GET COLDER.YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND THEM IN YOUR WINDOW SILLS.ANYONE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE?AND HOW TO KILL THEM OR KEEP OUT??? ANY INFO WOULD HELP,THANKS!!!

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, they are lady bugs.

Ladybugs will eat other insects esp aphids. Around here in the fall, you will see the south side of white houses covered with them trying to stay warm and get inside.

3. Green Tech

Green Tech LawnSite Member

The Multicolored Asian Ladybeetle was imported by the USDA from Japan in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It is voracous on aphids. In its native habitat it nests and roosts in cliffs. In many areas of the US the closest thing it can find to these cliffs are the sides of houses. If they gain entry to the home, sweep them up or vacuum them up and turn them loose back outside.

4. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Don't ever smash them, they have a nasty stink!!!

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I just read an article about another version of the lady bug developed here in NJ at the Beneficial Insects Laboratory. This one was propogated (not sure if that is the correct term in this case?) in 1999 to help combat the wooly adeldig pest that attacks elms. Since they got that version started they have released 435,000 of them in 10 states, so maybe what you are seeing is one of these other types that may look a little different than the regular lady bug.

6. bonnie2958

bonnie2958 LawnSite Member

I've been told to only use ladybugs indigenous to the US, NOT the Asian ladybugs as only those indigenous to our area will, in fact, eat aphids. Anyone know anything about that???

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Ladybugs bite? What the?? Never experienced that before... Must be global warming... or the "recession"...

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

How thin is your skin that a LadyBug bite hurts? :laugh:

9. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

m.a.l.bs were released to control several different pests in several different agri regions .Here in the mid west they are used to control bean borers that bore into soybean stems and cut yeilds.Them accumulate in group spring and fall .The bug guy love em ,easy money .If they are in a enclosed area I fog em with a pyretherin dairy barn fogger or py. base dairy spray .They bulk up on carbs in the fall . so you mighty see em on broken open fruit such as grapes and apples .The don't break fruits open , but will feed on split fruits.When harvest gets in gear the air can be full of em .

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Asian Beetles are completely different from Ladybugs. One is a pest the other is beneficial.
    Ladybugs do not bite - niether do they stink. I don't believe Asian Beetle even eat aphids.

The Asian Beetle was a mistake by the USDA (if they indeed imported them). They have been trying to blame their arrival on cargo ships.