1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

anybody know hot to bring grass back? need help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by milo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i had i lady call me today and i went to see it. it is 13 by 13 foot area where her dogs go to the bathroom and all that is there now is dirt. no grass..
    does anyone know what i should do to this to get grass there??? do i need to treat the dirt??? it is really bare and its the only place the dogs can go to the bathroom. any info would really help. i never did anything like this and want to make sure i can get the job done right. thanks guys..:dancing:
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

if the dog is still around forget about it. You will never get anything to stay there.

You can try a soil test for pH for starters.
  3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Urine contains uric acid. Uric acid contains nitrogen. By a dog using a relatively small area such as that as their latrine the high nitrogen content prevents anything from growing. It'd be just like dumping to much fertilizer on a lawn then watching it quickly burn to death.
  4. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Tell her about urine burn first.If the dogs continue to use the same area it is a lost cause.To fix it,rototil to dilute the urine .Take a soil sample and find out
    what needs to be amended to rebalance the soil.Sometimes treatment with
    hydrated lime can balance it out.Shooting the dogs would solve the root
    problem but won't make the client happy.This happens more frequently in dormant stage with older female dogs!
  5. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Let the customer know that she could look into a couple different vitamin supplements for the dogs that negates the burning of turf and sell her on topdressing the area with dirt and seed and cover w/straw or seed aide. Or you could simply run a slit seeder around the area and water it. I recomend running the slit seeder in to different directions for a checker board pattern. But tell the customer if she would look into it she could find either pills or a supplement gravy for dog food at pet co. petsmart or any other pet store or google it and buy on the internet.Good luck with it.
  6. soil test for soluble salts, correct this problem, warn the client this will always be a problem if dog uses such a small area!

get rich,
    how's the beef a roos?
  7. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your main problem is fast removal of toxins from the A horizon. Give her a price for resodding, and tell her it will have to be done at least once each year. :dizzy: Do a soil test. Or, check to see if there are some surfactant type products that can flush the soil. If there is a heavy clay, you might want to apply gypsum. A drill and fill mix might work like they use on the golf course greens; requires expensive equipment. I would take this up with a golf course superintendent in your area. He may know a fast way to keep the soil flushed out; they encounter similar problems when the nitrates and salt content goes up during the hot summer months. Only problem with that may be if the soil flushes out too easily you will have to keep it watered more often or it will dry out quickly.
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

9. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

10. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

I guess i agree with the soil testing since it only cost about 15-20 dollars, and if results come back fine then just sod the area. But i would have her look into the vitamin supplements for the dogs. I have treated alot of doggie damage in the past w/ simply mixing dirt and seed in a bucket and spilling some on the burn spots and letting mother nature do the rest. But if majority of the area is damaged then soil test then re-sod. And Tim the roo's look great as always, they take great pride in their places. Although my former boss only takes care of one or two(maintaining them). They send the installation to a different comany.(smart move) I ventured out on my own last year. Take care, and good luck w/ this job milo....hope it's profitable and keeps them calling back:clapping: