Anybody know how to make their own fuel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TMGL&L, Apr 22, 2008.

1. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine apparently makes their own biofuel for like 90 cents per gallon. Is there any truth to this?

From what I here you can make you own contraption for like a 1000 bucks and then you can use McDonalds fryer oil to make your fuel.

How do you do it and what are some sources to find more info on this topic?

It would be nice to here from someone who is an expert in the area or makes their own stuff.

2. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Go to biodieselnow.com. Delaware biodiesel initiative has been in the works for 3 years. The co-ops works so slow it is just better to get your own processor or build one if you are up to it.

3. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fixin to get my processor up and running, a buddy of mine built one and is gonna help me, says he has about $700 in his and makes his fuel for about $.70 per gallon. There is a whole section for it on dieselstop.com. My buddy is runing his 04 6.0 Powerstroke, and has been for two years, so if his is holding together, I'm pretty confident my 7.3's will. Be prepared to change your fuel filters a bunch at first though, the biofuel will free up all kinds of junk in the system from what I gather.

4. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I don't have a deisel now but plan on getting one sometime soon if I can get biofuel for 70 cents while regular gas is going for 4 bucks. Most likely toward the end of the year at the end of the landscaping season when I have nothing else to do.

5. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I first got the idea to do it just for an excuse to sit around the shop and drink beer once or twice a week:drinkup: Then when diesel went to 3.50, then 4.00, now 4.15 I'm thinking it might be a much better idea. i'm still in the research stages now, but hopefully I'll be up and running before too long. I've got probably 50 gallons or more of oil sitting in the shop ready to be made into fuel.

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

you can buy a bio plant for about 2500 arlready built with a auto matic set up on it. I spoke with my father and he said his set up cost him about 1200 to build. Just be sure you trully refine the oil and do not just filter it. wvo or filtered oil has a bad tendency to gum up in cooler temps

7. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don't think a McDonalds or other type restaurant will allow you to just walk in and take their oil. Honestly, is it really worth your time (assuming your working all day) to actually take the time to go through this whole process?

8. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

my first question is how avaliable is the oil. After this catches on are they going to sell it for a ridiculous price.

also there will be an issue with the road tax collection on this. I know the states and feds are not going to allow us to run a fuel that they don't get their cut on it.

9. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I've only heard that restaraunts have to pay to get rid of their oil so when someone wants to take it they just give it away.

I'm sure thats just a rumor or something

10. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Places do not give it away free anymore. Some places actually sell their used oil. It is not worth it unless you get some good contacts. One of the places we are getting it from gives us 55 gallons a week. I belong to a co-op and we are just starting to try and get things up and running.