1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Anybody know of any good books on the subject of "cost of doing business"?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Dec 15, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Title pretty much sums up my question.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

wow, Matt you read my mind! I was searching like crazy for topics about this last night and was going to post this same question. I was going to post about just books in general that explain costs of business, business planning and strategy, anything to further knowledge.

But this works for now :D
  3. walker-talker

from Midwest

I just came from Amazon, but I was looking for something more tailiored to this industry.
  4. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive looked through book stores, but theres nothing about business in lawn care or green industry that i have found. The one book i bought was building a business plan which was published by socrates. It goes fairly in depth on what a business plan should consist of any things you need to analyze and so forth.
  5. turf dog

turf dog LawnSite Member

Have you looked at e myth for contractors. It does not deal specifically with the green industry but has good info about running a contracting bus.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, did you look into C. VanderKooi? I went to one of his seminars last winter and bought one of his books. Some of it was way over my head, but I did get a lot of useful info out of it.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is one that looks interesting, but at a cost of $160 I might hold off for awhile.

I have heard of VanderKooi and I might of went to one of his seminars at the GIE, but it would have been a general seminar. I will check out one of his books.
  8. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

You might check out "How to Price Landscape & Irrigation Projects" by James R. Huston. It's always been my favorite.
  9. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I built an excel spreadsheet concerning the cost of doing business sometime back. If you do a search you'll probably find a thread with the spreadsheet in it. You could use that as a template to work from, or at least get some ideas from. I had factored in variable costs - such as fuel, maintance, etc., and fixed costs - such as phone, advertising, equipment and depreciation, etc. The worksheet broke it down to a per-hour cost of doing business based on expected hours of work for the season.
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, if you can teach yourself fairly well, go to your local college campus and look around for a managerial or cost accounting book. This time of year, students are selling back their books and if you catch them before they sell them back you could offer them a couple dollars more than the book store and you both come out ahead.

It certanly will not be industry specific but you will get solid info that can be applied to any industry.