1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody know what happened?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 93Chevy, May 23, 2010.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody know what happened here? I've never encountered anything like this before. I literally pulled out of my driveway and this massive squealing, almost like a nail was gouging my rotor, erupted. So I turned around and took a few pics. The grease appears to be a white lithium base, but very chunky with bits of what appear to be plastic or hard rubber, but could very well be metal. The grease appears to have been thrown toward the back of the truck, as there is grease on the mud flap.

Truck is a '95 Chevy K2500. Good condition, or so I thought.

You can see where the grease blew out from where appears to be where the axle attaches to the wheel bearing.
    1.JPG

Here's a close up.
    2.JPG

Further away, from the front of the truck
    4.JPG

Again, from the front.
    5.JPG

This is the front diff, where it attaches to the axle. No grease film on the other side of the pumpkin, only on the side of the mishap.
    6.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The first picture appears like a busted constant velocity axle but the later ones
    all show it to be in pretty decent shape although the angle is different...
    The only other thing I can think of is a busted wheel bearing OR the little wheel bearing grease cap thing on the inside.

I still feel like I'm shooting a bit blind, I'm guessing it's 4WD?
    And maybe, just maybe it's an upper or lower ball joint suddenly busted, but that's an awful lot of grease...

Either way you're more than likely going to have to pull that wheel off, then probably the disc brake caliper and rotor as well.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you for the feedback. I'm taking the truck to the shop tonight. I just got back from my day job, which is luckily close enough to walk from my house.

At any rate, everybody else I asked seemed to say the same thing...hopefully it's a simple fix as I will be out my only truck for the next day or two.

Thanks again for the help.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another reason why you should not have 4x4 as your work truck

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, how stupid of me to buy a practical vehicle for northern winters. It's also impossible to access my dump site, especially in the wet fall and spring times, without 4wd.

6. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

And what...buy seperate plow trucks or just plow with 2wd? Thats a good point. Just put ballast in the back and go for it. :hammerhead::cry::dizzy:

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Just the way it goes with GM 4x4s and IFS suspension. Lots of moving parts and you have to deal with CV joints and shafts. Expect to be replacing ball joints aswell and maybe the unit bearing hubs.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

cut him some slack dan is from florida where 4x4's are mostly for fun.....

looks like the axle seal is gone hopefully if you chewed up a bearing it's not IN the diff but its on one of the 1/2 shafts...but you also got a CV joint tossing grease as well but I've never seen them use lithium grease on a CV joint????

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I know...I have IFS, but that's the way it is on these trucks. I wouldn't mind having to pay to keep this from happening again.

It really looks and feels like lithium grease, but it may not me. I drove it to the shop today and it didn't squeal or anything, so hopefully it's nothing major.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

hope in one hand and sht in the other and see which fills up faster...;)

Ain't owning your own business fun....days like that I did not miss. My mind started running as to how many days/hours/lawns I'd have to work to make up for the loss...