Anybody know what this grass is?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by griffithtlc, Jul 30, 2005.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

Hey everyone-
    Hope you are all having a good year. I just wanted to see if anybody knew what this grass was? I have attached the image. I know it is not goosegrass. I does not look like quack grass either. I have looked through some books but none show any decent pictures that resemble this grass.
    Had a customer call about it and he said it was not in his yard last year and now he see's it all over. It is actually all over the neighborhood once you start looking. I was mabe thinking Smooth Brome? But I am not for sure.

I told the customer that is was nothing we did because we don't do any overseeding, etc. the lawn is 5 years old so there could have been seeds that blew in or they might have already been in the ground before they laid the sod and now the seed is germinating. He does do a fair amount of watering and has a nice healthy lush yard. I told him the only thing he could do is take some roundup or something similar and just touch the blades to kill it. I know he did not like that but I know of nothing else that would work without killing his good grass. (Kentucky blue). If you have any other ideas please let me know. I want to help him as much as I can becuase I have 5 other customers right in a line on that street and do not want to loose them.

Thanks again

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It resembles nutsedge but I can't be sure from the picture. Does it has a triangular stem?
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

that would be my guess as well...although my first thought was orchard grass ....hard to tell with the picture.

check for that triangular stem that nutsedge will have. if it is nutsedge it is very controllable

stem of orchard grass will be whiteish and flat near the base
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you would have pulled out the root as well, we would have no problem identifying it as nutsedge....
  5. griffithtlc

griffithtlc LawnSite Member

Thank you for your resoponses. I am going to be going back over there in a couple of days and will pull a couple more of them and make sure to get the root and try to get a better picture with the camera. Thank you again for your replies.
  6. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you located at my guess is Globe Sedge.