Anybody know who made this rotor pic?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Remote Pigtails, May 8, 2007.

1. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Her's one I haven't seen. No name on the top. has a slit on the top for close in watering. Gravity turret. All brass.

DSCN0385.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Last one I saw like that was about seven years ago when we yanked the last one out of one of our older systems. It's similar to the Rain-O-Mat ball driven head but I don't believe this is a ROM. The ones I remember have a huge brass body on them also. Very heavy! :)

3. PurpHaze

I'm thinking something like "Rain Commander" or "Commander Master"... heck I just can't remember. :dizzy:

4. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of the word commander it is a Rain Master:rolleyes:

5. PurpHaze

Smart arse! :laugh:

They just reminded me of roosters with the three different nozzles going in different directions. :)

AND... heavy suckers. We had to cut them out at the PVC lateral at risk of breaking the pipe in a place we didn't want.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Odds are that's a Nelson head. I think they called them 'ring drive' heads.

7. PurpHaze

Couldn't say for sure. I know we pulled out a lot of Rain-O-Mat heads in the past when we were upgrading systems. They looked similar but I believe they were ball driven. Heck, can't even remember if the Rain-O-Mats even had the center spray on them since it's been so long and they were torn down and taken to the recyclers many moons ago. Our original upgrade was to swing joints with Toro 640s that are now being replaced by Hunter I-40s as they go out.

The Toro 640 is a very good large field rotor. One problem they have (besides the stator/nozzle matching requirement and the fixed arc motors) is that they don't pop as high as most of the newer field rotors. They then become susceptible to sticking in the "up" position and then being sheared off by a mower or they stop turning.

Here's a 640 I replaced just the other day on a baseball field.

Stuck Toro 640 Sprinkler IV-01.jpg