Anybody like Toro's?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Let-it-mow!, May 14, 2007.

1. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

We do only a few sprinkler repairs. We may add or reconfigure a zone once in a while but we don't do installs.

I know nothing about Toro heads. We just don't see them much. Well, we spent a large part of today working on several acres of Toros. What a nightmare. This is an old install that hasn't been maintained very well and had lots of stuck, non spinning, plugged, or otherwise broken heads. I'm used to screwing the cap off a bad head, pulling the guts, blowing out the line, and installing new guts in the old body. Leaving the old body prevents dirt from getting into the nipple and it's a quick and easy way to replace a head. Can't do it with Toros.

Lots of Toto 640's to replace. You can unscrew the cap but only after you find the set screw that's caked with dirt and won't accept an allen wrench. We spent so much time screwing with these stupid allen screws.

It turns out the Toro 2001's don't even have a removable cap. They don't come apart. So we had to replace the whole head each time. In a field that's sugar sand. I don't care if you dig a 3' diameter hole around the head, sand still falls into the nipple. Try to blow out the dirt with water and it just makes the sandy soup flow in to fill your nicely dug hole. Took forever to replace each one. Oh, and you can't pre-adjust the arc or check the arc by turning the head back and forth. They don't by hand turn on this model. So you have to stand there and wait for each one to run from stop to stop. Adjusting over and over again until it's right

After hours of frustrating work, we come to the section of Toro super 700's or something like that. I'm hot, tired, and not in a good mood when I try to turn one of these with my foot to see how the arc is adjusted. Apparently the tops of these things come off when you give them a twist. Fortunately the guy with me enjoyed me getting sprayed in the face as I looked directly down at the head when it came apart.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

that sucks dude...toro rotors suck..
    except the 600....with the 3 inch pop...

possibly one of my fav rotor.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

3" Rotars bite...6" should be standard....agreed...Toros do suck, except the
    #300 "Stream-Rotor"..oh baby, if you've got the 50psi @ the head you've
    got still the coolest head on the planet!

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Stream rotor=best ever.....

by far my fav sprinkler head ever.....

Up north in new england the 3' are quite common...push great water in awsome patterns....no complaints on this end....

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro's are the best............ for job security. Toro's fine products put a couple of G's in my pocket each year.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

espically some of those bogus flow pro valves....

and the peanut 3/4 valves they got out there.....

the old greenskeepers are garbage IMO

7. Mike Leary

I have to admit, after years in the biz..I did a service call w/Greenskeeper
    clock...looked..told the client.."this will have to be replaced before any service can be done"

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going to have to use that line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Those "vandal screws" are a real PITA. Back in the days when we used them instead of the Hunter I-40s we now use we'd get a case of 640s and the first thing we'd do is remove the screws and chuck them.

Don't know if they've improved them or not but in my opinion they were junk.

10. Mike Leary

I've got a consulting job w/parks coming up...all Toro 700s failed..Cha-ching.