anybody listen to music when they mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Amco Landscaping, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok i know its not the safest thing to do but i got an ipod and i have been listening to it when i go mow and man it gets me moving. Especially if i have fast songs on it. Does anybody else do this or am i the only jerk

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Mount your speakers inside a pair of flight line (Mickey Mouse Ears) hearing protectors and enjoy the music. The day will go faster and so will the mower.

Oldtimer

3. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

i also have a ipod that i listen to when i work. The only thing is not to turn it up so loud that you cant hear what is going on around you.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of ear plugs (buds?) are you using to hear anything. I considered buying something to listen, but tried a small radio with ear buds, inside my Stihl muffs. I couldn't hear hardly anything on the buds -- just enough to know if the audio was speaking or music. I don't want to spend money on something if I can't hear it anyways!

My trial was done while using my Exmark, 15hp Kohler (single cylinder), 36" hydro. Maybe other mowers are so much quieter that ear buds will produce enough sound to be heard. Or, was my trail flawed?

5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Do a search on hearing protection and you'll find a TON of good ideas. I use Peltor Select digital hearing protection. They have 24 db of hearing protection with a built in digital FM radio and active hearing via two small microphones, one mounted on each earmuff. They cut out all loud noises but let me hear everything going on around me. Best part is I can talk with customers, hear someone approach me or hear strange noises in my equipment without taking them off. Very pricey for the digital ones, list price of $178.

You can get some cheap Peltor AM/FM analog hearing protection at Home Depot for less than $40.

Mike

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a set of peltors with an AM/FM radio. If I leave them at home it makes for a long day.

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I too have the $50 peltors. Great on Batt. life, good reception, my only complaint is the radio stations in Austin. I'm looking for a great setup using XM radio, with some good ideas on here if you search.

Considering Ipods, where exactly are you getting your music from? Cd's that you own, or an online site as well? If so which site?

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Same here, I almost can't mow without mine on now, music passes time and I mow quicker with tunes. :)

9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Same here as well, I think I'd go nuts without them.

10. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I picked up a pair of Peltors earmuff headphones. It has an AM/FM radio. The volume is limited to 82db so you son't damage your hearing by turning them up too high. I got them at Canadian Tire $50. Wish I had them years ago as it sure beats listening to the drone of engines, makes the day go by quicker. The only downside might be you problably look a little silly to someone watching you if you start to sing along to the songs. :p