Anybody measure oil before adding to gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Dec 8, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't done that in 20 years or so! I saw some other lawn guy at the gas station last week and the guy was measuring the oil to add to the 5 gallon gas can, I thought to myself I can't remember the last time I measured the oil. I can eye ball it good. I'v mixed thousands of gallons of gas with oil for the 2 cycle engines with out measuring and have never have a engine wear out. I'm sure I mix rich and have never had any engine or carburetor problems. All my tools seem to have a different mix ratio, and they all get what I give them and they work great! In fact the body or the gears or tires wear out first.

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 2 gallon can for my 2 cycle mix and I have 6 little pre-mix bottles that I use. I buy a gallon of the Echo oil and just keep refilling the little bottles, that way it is always consistent.

If I had to eyeball it, it would probably be a super rich mix

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I always measure my oil mix, I have one saw that’s been modified a bit and wouldn’t want to run it on the lean side. But don’t care to use more oil than is needed either.
    (The oil I use is fairly expensive.)
    It doesn’t take me that long with a good measuring cup. But if you use the same oil/container for the same amount of fuel every time you could get it close enough.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl is pretty particular on how much & what kind of oil used. I have heard stories of them rejecting warranty claims because of improper mixing.

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes.

And, I prefer to buy by the gallon.

But I save a bunch of the little 4 oz. or 8 oz. and refill them to the level I need for one can. I store several of these in my tool box.

That way I don't have to guess from the side of a bottle or use a measure.

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I always measure....in fact i have a measuring cup designated for my oil mixing.

7. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I havent measured in years. I can eye ball it pretty close, never had a problem

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't measure either. 8 oz. bottle of Amsoil into 5 gallons of gas everytime.

I've seen the results of not measuring, even on my own equipment. Plugged exhaust ports, fouled plugs, not running up to correct RPMs, oil running out of mufflers and heavy smoke.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Whatever size bottle I buy (sometimes it's a small 1gal sometimes it a 2gal), I dump it(them) in and dispense 2 gals of gas into the can.

So, if you call that mixing, then yes.

Do I get out a measuring cup....heck no!

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I buy Opti-2 by the gallon. Therefore, I need to measure out how much to put in the can before making the mixed fuel. I use a quart container, with a measuring column on one side (the secondary compartment intended to squeeze the product from the main compartment). I would like to have a container, measuring cup, or whatever, but have not found one that can be sealed off to keep dirt out. An open measuring cup seems like an open invitation for getting dirt into the mix.

I used premix bottles for awhile, then pouches, UNTIL I did some cost studies to realize how much money can be saved by buying in the larger bottle. I have read many threads complaining about the cost of gasoline in the past couple of years, but I have also read many threads about folks using multiple pouches of "1 gallon mix" for their mixed fuel needs. The cost of the small pouches exceeds the cost of the gasoline!