Anybody missing any toes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laxative, Jun 5, 2008.

1. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yesterday I caught a water meter lid funny with a walk-behind, it juked a way I didn't think it would and knocked me down. The operator presence safety thing stuck down to the handlebar, and it spun 45 degrees on the edge of the meter vault and bore down on me. I rolled out of the way and had to chase the stupid mower into the street.

Having a 48" WB with blades engaged coming at you when you're on the ground is scary. Stuck a finger in some motor oil and oiled the safety levers so maybe they won't stick like that again.

Anybody missing any body parts? I almost lost a head.

2. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

Not missing anything here, but I did something stupid the other day.

Was backing up from fence with my 21" and tripped in a slight hole. Instinct had me hang on to the mower handle. As I was falling I looked down and saw the mower (still running) backing up and getting closer to my feet. I let go of the handle and went for a walk. Came back and finished up the yard. Scared me when I saw it coming for my feet.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No but I've seen the blades on the underside of mine before, it was awful scary but I also thought what an awesome picture that would have made. The crazy things, I was turning mine on a hill, and I don't know if a tire slipped or maybe it was that it got too much traction, but the deck lifted up and I knew it was time to get out of the way...

That was also the last time I believed in safety features, the only thing that is so child-proof about them is that children have proven they can get around it :p

4. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Only have the big toe on my left foot because they put it back on.Did it at my house on Easter (should have went to church!) probably 15 years ago. When I slipped I didnt let go of the handle, the blade cut me in two places before it died.My toe was like a zippo lighter in the open position just at the start of the toenail.Learned the hardway how to mow a ditch.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Jeez guys, be careful out there!

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I once had my levers taped in order to smooth out the edges and lessen the impact of their hard edges on nerves in the hands. That didn't last long. The adhesive had the effect of doing exactly what happened to laxative. The safety lever would stick to the handle at times. No tape now. I dehorned the levers with a file instead.

I did slip on a down hill once and a foot went under the engine deck and I had images of it continuing on under the back of the cutting deck. I was fortunate to have enough traction with the other foot and was able to pull the one that slipped out, before it hit the deck. Lucky too that the trans belt didn't grab a toe or three.

7. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

My phy ed teacher cut his toe off once. He was mowing down a very steep hill and he slipped and his foot went under the 21" and sliced his toe off. Went to the emergency room and they pinned it back on, no problems for him now, but the toe sure looks weird.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Still have all my appendages, luckily. I almost lost a few last week. I was mowing with my 21" and I shut it of to change the height. I waited about 10 seconds after the engine shut off, and like an idiot went to lift the mower by the deck. If I wouldn't have been wearing gloves I would have been an instant amputee. Yeah, I'm stupid and it's embarrassing, but I'm posting my stupidity to illustrate a point, even after doing this for years you can still make a dumb mistake. Pay attention and BE CAREFUL. After I was bandaged up I started the mower again, engaged the blades, then shut the mower off and tilted it to see how long the blade kept spinning. Take a guess? It spun for almost 20 seconds under it's own momentum after the mower was completely shut down.

9. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

thats one thing i like about my craftsman commercial. the blade engage also has a brake if you pull back on the lever

10. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

happened to me too, scared the crap out of me. toes under the deck and not sure how they came back attached!!!!!!!:nono: