Anybody mount a fire extinguisher on ROPS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Dec 26, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Anybody mount a fire extinguisher on ROPS of ZTR? I'm thinking about mounting one on my SCAG and wondered if anyone had any comments or photos?

2. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

burnt up a dixie years ago,shoulda had one mounted on it...
    great idea..

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Just keep in mind that since a ROPS is a safety device, any altering of it (i.e. drilling holes for mounting) will void the warranty and any claims made against the manufacturer for any injuries as a result.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good idea,we run enclosed trailers we keep 1 in it at all times.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Idea. Try one of those extinguishers that are made for cars. There not super huge and come with mounting brackets. i put one on the fender of a tractor a few years ago. don't have any pics of it available though.

6. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

Mount it with tie straps they will hold it up. had one on my Kubota M-4700 for over 5 years and the tie straps are still holding it. I used the big black ones. And will have one on the Feris 4500 when i get it in late Feb or early march..
    Pete

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

What's the point in mounting on the ROPS? Most peoples ROPS are in the garage, in the scrap heap, or have been cut up to make other more useful items other than a tree catcher/deck lifter/head smasher/carport crasher/clothesline strecher/mower flipper overer... :eek:

If you use large zip ties, make sure you only put them around the holder for the extinguisher and not the whole bottle... :alien: :cool:

No matter what you do... It is a good idear to carry an extinguisher! Expecially if you have insurance on your equipment! You still have the chioce to let it burn and get a new one but at least the the insurance company can see that you were prepared, which makes it more likely that they will pay out! :p

8. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

so when you flip your ztr and break your neck, while you're in the hospital or dead you can look back and think of how lucky you were to have that extinguisher in the event of a fire.

i think the extinguisher is a great idea, for home, trailer, vehicle, or mower. good thinking.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the fire extingushier is a must have too! I have 4 of them and will be getting at least 2 more soon and mounting them in my new truck and another on my main mower. I hope they never get used!

I just think that ROPS are, 90% of the time, more of an accident causer than a preventer.

People that ride 4 wheelers can get killed from a filp over accident too. you don't see them coming out with roll bars, do you? It's not even an option. If you want something that's roll over safe you buy a buggy with a roll cage. It pisses me off that not everyone wants or needs a ROPS but yet every mower (almost) is coming out with them standard. If you have trees, or a 2nd story deck, or a swing set, or... and so on and so on... you CAN'T access these areas with the ROPS attached. If you try too you can get hurt! You wouldn't have gotten hurt or done any damage without the ROPS in these areas.

To adapt a quote from someones signature line here: If sence were common, they wouldn't need ROPS on every mower!